Who said you can't see the rivets and panel lines on real aircraft

Started by GTX, March 23, 2011, 01:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

JayBee

That's not a "real" aircraft, it's a Fairey Rattle :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Hobbes

Yup. Take a photo of the same aircraft from 72 ft away, though, and they won't be so noticeable, and that's what you want to replicate on a 1:72 aircraft. That's where the 'no visible panel lines' meme comes from.

NARSES2

Think they've used a Pro-Modeller dark wash on that one  :thumbsup:

I was only thinking about rivets on old models this morning strangely enough whilst looking at some old Airfix stuff in the stash. When they first came out back in the late 60's ? the concencus amongst all the "experts" was what a great step forward for mankind it was - times change and moulding technics get better  ;D

Personally, and rivets/panel lines is a very personal thing, I'm with Harro on this. From 72 foot or so away you can't see to much, but it's the modellers model.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

raafif

As it's a target-tow aircraft the fuselage & wings are black & yellow stripes but what colour is the nose -- white ? definately a different shade to the yellow bits.

Had a good look at the tail fn of that F-15 that crashed in Libya -- several heap-big rivets on the top of it -- or are they mini-aerials or mini-strakes for aerodynamics ?
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

matrixone

Its over weathered, I have read on other modeling sites that aircraft don't get that dirty and worn out looking. ;D

Anybody notice the photograph is backward? But its a great photo anyway, thanks for posting it.

Matrixone

dumaniac

raafif

Quote from: rickshaw on March 23, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
Might just have been a skin repair.

maybe, guess if I was out on a carrier's deck edge, a long way from the parts bin, I might use bolts from the deck-planks to fix it  :lol:  ((they were much bigger than what we use on warbirds like the P-40, Lanc etc)).
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Old Wombat

You could see that from 70+ feet, no problem (if you've got good eyesight - not old, failing eyesight like yours-truly), but you probably wouldn't be aware of it.

However, if you painted a 1/72 scale model without weathering & held it out at arms-length then compared it to the actual aircraft set at a distance that it appeared the same size as the model you would notice the difference.

Pre-shaded panel lines & very-faint-wash weathering would be the go to imitate this in 1/72, slightly darker shading & wash for 1/48.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est