Saturn INT-20

Started by MartG, March 21, 2011, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

During the mid-1960s NASA commissioned research into a range of Saturn derived launch vehicles  to fill the payload gap between the Saturn 1B ( payload 18 tonnes ) and the Saturn V ( earth orbit payload 118 tonnes ). Each of the variants was described as an INT-xx , where INT stood for Intermediate.

The INT-20 was a proposed 2-stage version, omitting the Saturn V's S-II second stage. Staying within the 4.68G limit for Apollo manned flights, the INT-20 could place 60 tonnes into Earth orbit using just 4 F-1 engines on the 1st stage ( leaving the 5th engine in place added very little to the payload but a lot to the price ). For unmanned flights with a 6G limit ( and 5 engines ) 72 tonnes could be placed in orbit.

More info here http://www.astronautix.com/data/satvint.pdf

The model uses the Airfix Saturn V as a basis, with my own resin parts for the F-1 engines, S-IVB thrust structure, S-1C/S-IVB interstage, and Apollo CM and SPS nozzle.

Three Saturn Vs – INT-21 Skylab, INT-20, and Apollo 11

Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

Hobbes

Excellent! I really like space whifs.

anthonyp

Nice!  I just picked up a couple 1/144 Saturn V's from eBay.  Been mocking one of them up in various configurations (including the four SRB and NERVA upper stage, as well as trying to figure out how a Pilgrim Explorer would look up top).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

NARSES2

Nice collection.

It's nice to see all the Airfix Spacecraft kits back on general release again, might encourage some more people to build them  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MartG

Quote from: Overkiller on March 22, 2011, 12:19:17 PM
Thats a lovely collection of Saturn models!  :wub:

Very interesting indeed, a whole family of launchers was proposed, using various combinations of Saturn and other launchers stages.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm working on a few of the other Saturn V versions, as well as some Saturn 1B variants too, so watch this space  ;D
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction