SAS whiff or not?

Started by philp, March 17, 2011, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Found this over on UAMF
This is available from www.oldtoysoldierhome.com.

and the story:

"The Desert Bentley"
How this pre war "touring Bentley" came to end up with the S.A.S is interesting... it was won in a poker game in Alexandria. Originally owned by a wealthy British Cavalry officer he lost it (along with a great deal of money) to a friend of "Paddy" Mayne's. When "Paddy" saw it he had S.A.S mechanics overhaul it... paint it... and customize it (guns and all) for Desert operations.

Gives me lots of ideas for the Africa GB  ;D
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Really, all that looking and nobody can confirm or deny this?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

I doubt the utility of it, with its low ground clearance but I acknowledge the skill in making it.  I've never seen a picture of such a beast in real life but I admit I am not a SAS scholar or fanboy.   Whatever, it looks good and I like the figure.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Nice build, but I doubt very much it's real.  The use of the Bren is odd for a vehicle weapon, given the SAS used the Vickers K (the paired weapons on the back) almost exclusively beyond their odd use of the .50cal.  Also, the utility of the twin Vickers Ks in the back is debatable, given that neither crewman could easily operate them without impacting on the ergonomics of the other.

I've got a couple of books concerning SAS history and none of them mention anything other than the Willys and LRDG trucks.

Regards,

Mav

Hobbes

Quote from: philp on March 20, 2011, 12:51:15 AM

I, for one, hadn't realized that you'd asked that.

Nick

I'm dubious purely because I've not heard of a Bentley being used by either the SAS or the LRDG. The only online reference is to this model and all the sites carry the exact same story from when this model was released in January 2011. The sites are all toy/model sites too, none are actual military history. Surely such a story would have made the rounds before?

Until someone can show a wartime picture or a book telling this story, I'm not believing it. There's not even a grainy black and white pic out there.

pyro-manic

Don't care either way - it's cool! ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

philp

Quote from: Hobbes on March 20, 2011, 01:43:58 AM

I, for one, hadn't realized that you'd asked that.

Didn't say it out loud but usually this kind of thing starts some kind of conversation.

By the way, it isn't a build, it is a die cast that you can purchase as you see in the pics.  Don't think the company it is from goes in for What If's but, like the rest of you, no one can find any pictures of said beast.  That could also explain why the armament is depicted as so.

So, what else should the SAS have used as transport in the Desert besides the Jeeps and 30cwts?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Cobra

There is a TV Show called 'Mail Call' on the History Channel, They might be able to Dig up something on it, if you send them a Q! i don't have the Email Address, but you can No Doubt find it with Google. give it a Shot & see what they Tell you. Dan

messmeister

It's a cliquey kind of site. Unless you are part of some group you can forget about people responding to your posts in any way. If you look around you will see it is always the same dozen or so members posting, it's the way they like it.

Nice build by the way, something different.

Nick

There was no outright question asked in the first post, therefore no answer. Not every post will gather attention or set the right people thinking in ways that gets responses.

Why didn't the SAS or the LRDG use camels in the desert and disguise themselves as Bedouin tribesmen?

Clique? :o  Oh dear, we've been rumbled.... I'll let you into the special secret of how to join the 'clique' but don't tell anyone else :rolleyes:

Ask reasonable questions that can't be answered with 5 seconds on Google.
Show us pics of your work.
Talk about your research.
Take part in the fun.
Recognise that not every posting will get a response.
Don't just sit back and let the 'usual suspects' do all the talking.

Of course there is a group of regulars on this board. EVERY FORUM has regulars and non-regulars. Everybody has (or should have  ;)) a range of interests and they will show more interest in one hobby than another. Many of us use 2 or 3 model related forums, for some of us this is our main outlet, for others it may be Britmodeller or ARC. Nobody has been forced out or deliberately ignored for not being part of some imaginary clique, it's just that most other members prefer to sit back and let the usual suspects do all the talking.

Maverick

Have to agree with Nick there messmeister.  This would be about the most 'unclique' site I've found on the net.  New people are welcomed and encouraged to submit, have opinions and generally participate.  After all, everyone starts as a 'newbie', we're not automatically part of some secret group.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

There are "cliques" here but they are welcoming, which is very different to most other fora. 

What I particularly like about it is that everybody encourages everybody else.  Of course there are an occasional crossed word but that is to be expected in any group with disparate interests.  In general its a very collegial atmosphere.   Doesn't matter how good or how bad your work is, we appreciate its your work and you've put your heart and soul into it.  Everybody helps.  You have a problem, people will offer suggestions on how to fix it.   The key is, you have to join in, not sit back.  we aren't going to worship you like god's gift.

Now someone asked what sort of vehicles the SAS used in the Western Desert.  For the most part it was indeed Jeeps.  They had some 30 cwt trucks as well but they were primarily supply vehicles.  Their main mode of transport was the Jeep.  They were somewhat favoured by Middle-East HQ when started out and effectively "jumped the queue" as far as allocation of the Jeeps went, AIUI, much to the chagrin of other units who felt they should have been the one's getting them.  The LRDG used to use primarily (at the start) 15 cwt and 30 cwt trucks, plus some captured vehicles (Italian) trucks and weapons.  As the supply situation improved, Jeeps were added.   I still cannot see this Bentley being of much use.  The low ground clearance, the narrow tyres and the difficulties of maintaining a supercharger in the desert (if that is what the lump on the front is) would preclude it getting very far.  While the non-standard parts would make it very difficult to maintain.   The Bren was used but not as the main MG.  The Vickers K was preferred because of its higher rates of fire.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Army of One

Not wanting to jump on any bandwagon or any other type of vehicle...but just how does someone come to such a conclusion after 10 post's...? :unsure:.......I have in my short time here found members very helpful....advice when asked for,encouragement for models that are being completed and,well....dunno how to express the thanks for the stuff I have swopped/been sent by members here n abroad....anyhoo....enough of that......as to vehicles the SAS might have used in the desert......whatever worked I suppose......(insert shrugging shoulder smillie here....!)
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Captain Canada

Very neat. I love the look on the driver's face as well ! Would be a neat toy to push arounf the garden !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?