FW 200 Various Roles Query

Started by Cobra, March 15, 2011, 05:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

hey Guys, i was just scanning Google, Can Anyone tell me if the FW 200 Condor was ever used or Considered for Roles like Air Sea Rescue, ASW,Etc.?  something I've been kinda Curious about. Thanks For Looking.Dan

Maverick

Dan, one could suggest that the anti-maritime role of the Condor was predominantly an ASuW one, that is anti-surface rather than anti-sub.  That being said, I don't think the Germans were too strong on the issue of anti-submarine ops, primarily because they were the ones doing the submarining by and large.  I'm sure there'll be some instance where this did occur, but it certainly wasn't a regular op for the Condor.  Had they put their mind to it, I'm quite sure they would have had a good idea of what to do, given their experience with their own wolf pack operations.

As for ASR, they had their Heinkel flying boats specifically tailored for the role and I don't think they would have considered an operational front-line aircraft like the Condor in a second-line role (albeit important) such as ASR.

Perhaps either role would be more suited with a Condor to the Japanese?  They had the US subs to contend with.

Regards,

Mav

tigercat

It sounds like there could be an interesting story behind this

A Danish Fw 200 aircraft named Dania was seized by the British on English soil after Denmark was invaded by German forces in 1940. It was operated by the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) and was later pressed into service with the Royal Air Force. It was damaged beyond repair in 1941

P1127

Quote from: tigercat on March 15, 2011, 05:29:37 AM
It sounds like there could be an interesting story behind this

A Danish Fw 200 aircraft named Dania was seized by the British on English soil after Denmark was invaded by German forces in 1940. It was operated by the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) and was later pressed into service with the Royal Air Force. It was damaged beyond repair in 1941

Not too interesting unfortunately - it's RAF service was as a multi-engined trainer with the ATA, and it crashed on it's first test flight after delivery (Delivered on 5th July 1941, crashed 12th July 1941)

There is not a lot of info on it's BOAC use between April 1940 and June 1941, but it was beleivedmay have been used on flights to and in Africa (It had extra long range tanks fitted). Flying a Condor over the Bay of Biscay may have been slightly risky, so it was withdrawn and passed to the ATA.

The RAF also tested a couple of VIP Transport Fw200Cs after the war.
It's not an effing  jump jet.

jcf

Quote from: Maverick on March 15, 2011, 05:26:49 AM

Perhaps either role would be more suited with a Condor to the Japanese?  They had the US subs to contend with.

Ironically the FW 200 C series military aircraft originated from a Japanese requirement.

The Wooksta!

One of the Revell Fw 200B boxings came with BOAC decals.  IIRC, I think it was the Syndicato Condor boxing.

The Do 18 and Do 24 were mainly used for the ASR role.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

tigercat

shame i had a vision of some kind of RAF KG200 weren't HE 115 used for something like this.

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

dumaniac

Who's up for building a FW200 on floats - three floats seems the right number

Bernie

The Wooksta!

The airframe wouldn't be able to take it.  They had problems doing what they did - the rear spar always collapsed.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: