Cabin Pressure

Started by tigercat, March 14, 2011, 05:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

I don't know if any of you are aware of the very funny BBC Radio Sitcom about a Charter Air Dot (as you need more than one aircraft to form a line) They fly an ex business jet that the owner took off her husband in a divorce.

I am tempted to build their aircraft called Gertie. Are their any kits out their in 1:72 it needs to carry 16 passengers and have 2 jets but otherwise the type is fairly flexible.

I thought Gulfstream but their doesn't appear to be an affordable easy to build  one in plastic.

NARSES2

Airfix or Matchbox HS 125 Dominie ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Mach 2 do a Falcon 20, but it's £27.00 or so, quite pricey for a smallish aircraft.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

The Airfix kit is for the Dominie T1 which ahd capacity for only six pax.
The Matchbox kit is the CC2 which had a capacity of only 14.
So both are a bit on the small side.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Right - wasn't sure of the size of the 125. Thought it might be a little small
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on March 14, 2011, 08:19:08 AM
The Airfix kit is for the Dominie T1 which ahd capacity for only six pax.
The Matchbox kit is the CC2 which had a capacity of only 14.
So both are a bit on the small side.

But cutting and shutting two Matchbox -600s would make a '-850' or something similar? It's difficult doing it with the Airfix Dom as the wing fairing overlaps most of the straight sections of the fuselage.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Revell do a Canadair Challenger, although it's in 1/144.  It should take sixteen passengers quite easily, if your willing to swap scales.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tigercat

What  about cross kitting a Dominie with a Heron or possibly a twin Otter

How feasible is a high level wing aircraft with fuselage mounted engines or woulfd the engines have to be wing mounted.

Old Wombat

Saw something that might fit that description today but I can't, for the life of me, remember if it was 1/72 or 1/48 a Citation or a Gulfstream.

I kinda tossed up buying it for the Africa GB but decided being alive was better than being murdered by my wife (I'm unemployed & we're running into solvency issues :( ).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

That gives me an idea: how about taking the Revell Dornier 228 and replacing it's turboprops with jets, the backstory being that Fairchild Dornier offered this as a cheaper, smaller version of the 328JET? You could either just swap the engines, or use scaleorama'd wings, engines and tail surfaces from a bigger airliner.

Another possibility: Plasticart made a Yak-40 in 1/100th scale which is cheap and easily available - I wonder if it would scaleorama to 1/72nd?

EDIT - the Yak seems doable: I havn't got many airliner kits, but I've just offered it up to a 1/72nd Do28, and it's fuselage is about the same width and height (though circular section rather than square, which maybe an issue), it's about 25% longer than the 12-seat Dornier, which seems about right.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

tigercat

How about IL 28 wings and engines on a DO 228 fuselage

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat on March 15, 2011, 10:27:21 AM
How about IL 28 wings and engines on a DO 228 fuselage

The Il-28 wings would be way too big in 1/72nd, but they'd be just about right, span-wise, in 1/100th, and the Ben Hobby/Tamiya Il-28 is cheap enough.... Wrong kind of engines for a modern aircraft though, although perhaps you could cut the backs off the nacelles and fit a smaller diameter pipe to make them look like turbofans.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Jennings

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 14, 2011, 08:16:35 AM
Mach 2 do a Falcon 20, but it's £27.00 or so, quite pricey for a smallish aircraft.

Calling that monstrosity a Falcon 20 is tantamount to slander :)
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

rallymodeller

The Revell/Hasegawa 1/48 Citation is a IISP; get two (fuselage plug) and you could do a Citation V; those seat about 16 in commuter layout.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

tigercat

Theres a a few options then the YAK 40 looks promising