Fokker Gunship

Started by Thiel, March 11, 2011, 12:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thiel

Hi everyone.
It's been years since I did any modelling, but I've decided to start again.
I found a box of 1:72 ZiS-3 AT guns in my basement yesterday and decided to see what I could do with them.
The only model suitable in the local model shop was a Fokker Friendship, so the Fokker Gunship was born.
I haven't gotten that far yet. The fact that I have to buy everything as I go along is rather annoying.
Anyway, here's what little progress I've made so far.

The guns in question. They fit together without glue which is great for mockups

Progres...

RARR

Edit: Sorry about the huge pictures. I hadn't realized how big they were.

Hobbes

That's quite a punch she's packing! Were you planning to add side guns as well?

PS could you make the next batch of photos a bit smaller (resize them before uploading)? These don't fit on my screen...

Thiel

Quote from: Hobbes on March 11, 2011, 12:38:50 AM
That's quite a punch she's packing! Were you planning to add side guns as well?

PS could you make the next batch of photos a bit smaller (resize them before uploading)? These don't fit on my screen...

The nose guns are only there as a joke. They will be mounted on the port side facing slightly downwards.
I'm arguing whether to make it a production model or an aftermarket modification. I'm tempted to do it in TAA colours and then throw an impromptu jungle camo over it. Depending on how the gunports turn out I may paint the edges black as if someone has been going at it with a blowtorch.

And I just found an extra set of propellers in the box, so now it's going to have contra rotating props.

And yeah, I'll resize the pictures next time.

Old Wombat

Trans-Australian Airlines.... Man, haven't heard them mentioned for a while! :blink:

So, if you do that, this'll be an Aussie version of the "Spooky" for Vietnam? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sequoiaranger

...to have a death-dealing gunship named "Friendship"! Pretty mean Fokker!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Hobbes

AFAIK, only the passenger versions were called Friendship. The military transport was called 'Troopship', the MPA 'Maritime' or, for the armed version, Maritime Enforcer. Logically, a gunship would be F-27 Enforcer.

JayBee

Resize your photos so that the larger dimension is 750-800 pixels, save as high quality, then upload to a photohosting sight (I use Photobucket). From there select the Img file for the photo and paste it in to your post here.

So here is one I found on the internet, no idea who built it.

Jim

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

dragon

I too have been kicking the idea around of building a Fokker F-27 Animosity.  You beat me to the punch.  It looks like it will be one mean mother-Fokker.
:thumbsup:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Hobbes

Jim, I think you found that one on this site...

Thiel

Quote from: JayBee on March 11, 2011, 08:23:52 AM
Resize your photos so that the larger dimension is 750-800 pixels, save as high quality, then upload to a photohosting sight (I use Photobucket). From there select the Img file for the photo and paste it in to your post here.
I know how it's done, I just forgot to do it.

Anyway, right now the plan is for it to be a former TAA Friendship that was sold to some two-bit dictatorship to serve as the Presidential transport.
However, before it could be refitted civil war broke out and it was pressed into service.
This has a number of advantages for me.
First, it explains why a Dutch build Australian aircraft ends up being armed with Soviet WWII era AT guns.
Second, TAA colours are simple, and any errors I make can be covered up with field camo, which is supposed to look slapdash.

GTX

Quote from: Thiel on March 11, 2011, 11:16:12 AM
Quote from: JayBee on March 11, 2011, 08:23:52 AM
I know how it's done, I just forgot to do it.

Anyway, right now the plan is for it to be a former TAA Friendship that was sold to some two-bit dictatorship to serve as the Presidential transport.
However, before it could be refitted civil war broke out and it was pressed into service.
This has a number of advantages for me.
First, it explains why a Dutch build Australian aircraft ends up being armed with Soviet WWII era AT guns.
Second, TAA colours are simple, and any errors I make can be covered up with field camo, which is supposed to look slapdash.

I like your thinking. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Thiel

Thank you. I have a couple of tinpot dictator projects that I'd like to do. If only I could find a cheap 1:72 civilian ultra light aircraft with high wings.

The Rat

Quote from: Thiel on March 11, 2011, 11:16:12 AM...any errors I make can be covered up with field camo, which is supposed to look slapdash.

NOW you're thinking like a true Whiffer!  ;D :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Thiel

Quote from: The Rat on March 11, 2011, 06:54:46 PM
Quote from: Thiel on March 11, 2011, 11:16:12 AM...any errors I make can be covered up with field camo, which is supposed to look slapdash.

NOW you're thinking like a true Whiffer!  ;D :thumbsup: :cheers:
Just because you're new doesn't mean you can't be good. Or failing that, a sneaky fuzzy bunnytm   :mellow:

pedrospe

hi thiel, that is a great aircraft, it would be a good alternative to the ac-130u, good work.

best regards

Pedro