Enter The Dragon!

Started by albeback, March 09, 2011, 08:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

[/right][/img][/img][/img]

(Cue - suspension of belief time!)

When the Tupolev design Bureau answered a request for specs for a long range /patrol interceptor, it responded by proposing a development of the TU-22 bomber already under development.The TU-22's performance,range and, ability to carry a large 8000 kg load meant that the aircraft fullfilled the basic specifications already. Combat endurance rather than Mach 2 speed was deemed more important. The proposal was agreed by the Russian Defence Ministry and, development commenced in 1958. The primary changes were (1) Crew reduced from 3 to 2 (pilot/RSO), (2) installation of a redesigned nose accomodating the most powerful A I radar available, (3)deletion of the rear mounted 23mm cannon, (4) a large additional fuel tank installed in the bomb bay which was then sealed. The interceptor was some 2 metres shorter than the bomber variant. Primary armament was to be the Bisnovat R40 missile - up to 8 rounds being carried. These comprised 4 x I R (infra red) and, 4 x SARH ( semi active radar homing) in accordance with Soviet tactical doctrine. Although the R40 was its promary weapon, the aircrafr was, from the outset, designed to be capable of using all AAM s in the Soviet inventory. The outboard wing pylons mounted twin launch rails for the K13 ( later R60) short range missiles. The Russian Air Force also insisted on gun armament being installed. Although by no stretch of the imagination a dogfighter, a gun was always nice to have as a back up. A pair of NR-30 30mm cannons with 150 rpg was installed  - one on either side of the nose wheel bay.

First flight was in 1960 with the aircraft making its public debut at the Moscow May Day parade in 1961. Service entry began the following year. At the time of its introduction, the TU22 was the most heavily armed interceptor in service anywhere. This was not matched until the introduction to service of the BAC "Nemesis" into RAF service in 1972 ( watch this space! ;D)

The type's impressive firepower earned the aircraft the unofficial name " Drakon" ( Dragon) amongst its crews. NATO was equally impressed - assigning the type the NATO code name "Firestorm". Something which flattered the Russians no end!

I have depicted the type in a camouflage scheme based on that worn by the SU-27. I try & avoid natural metal finishes if posible!! The rather nice dragon insignia came from the kit decal sheet. The numerals were from the Begemot 1/48 Mig 25 sheet. As for the fangs!! Well, all I can say in my own defence is that I thought they would look good on the machine!!
Any questions - please ask. Hope you like it.
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Doc Yo

I'll cheerfully suspend my disbelief for anything involving the Tu-22. Great concept ( and given that the
Russians were happily building dedicated interceptors almost as large, not at all far-fetched ) and a
splendid execution.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

AXU

Great model,great camo...great everything...including your B-52J  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Whell done
Alex

Green Dragon

Like that a lot! Only one problem, what am I going to do with MY Tu22 and eight Hasegawa R-40 Missiles now!?  :blink:
Very nicely done!  :bow:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

albeback

Quote from: Green Dragon on March 09, 2011, 01:05:51 PM
Like that a lot! Only one problem, what am I going to do with MY Tu22 and eight Hasegawa R-40 Missiles now!?  :blink:

Paul Harrison

Sorry Paul!! No hard feelings I hope!!! :cheers:. I have now started work on my 4th TU-22. It's the original ESCI kit with the AS-4 missile. I'm going to paint in Polish markings for operations over the Baltic. I'd hate to think of your model going to waste! How about an East German TU-22? ;D

Thank you everybody for the kind remarks.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Green Dragon

Quote from: albeback on March 09, 2011, 01:14:27 PM
Quote from: Green Dragon on March 09, 2011, 01:05:51 PM

Paul Harrison

Sorry Paul!! No hard feelings I hope!!! :cheers:. I have now started work on my 4th TU-22. It's the original ESCI kit with the AS-4 missile. I'm going to paint in Polish markings for operations over the Baltic. I'd hate to think of your model going to waste! How about an East German TU-22? ;D

Thank you everybody for the kind remarks.

No problem mate yours looks far better than mine would've!
Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Captain Canada

Beautiful....looks perfect ! love the colours, the weathering, and for sure the weapons !

:wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Taiidantomcat

Splendid! the camo, the missiles, the concept its all so perfectly Russian  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Cobra

Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: when i saw the Entry, i thought you were talking Bruce Lee :lol: Sweet Paint & Decal Work!  why does this make me think You'd see this in the old TV Series 'Thunderbirds'? Keep up the Great Work :cheers: :cheers: Dan

GTX

Damn fine work!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: Cobra on March 09, 2011, 09:11:18 PM
why does this make me think You'd see this in the old TV Series 'Thunderbirds'?

Because you seem to have a pretty one track mind?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

albeback

Quote from: Cobra on March 09, 2011, 09:11:18 PM
Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: when i saw the Entry, i thought you were talking Bruce Lee :lol: Sweet Paint & Decal Work!  why does this make me think You'd see this in the old TV Series 'Thunderbirds'? Keep up the Great Work :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Thanks Dan

You know, this aeroplane DOES look like its straight out of Thunderbirds!!  To be honest, I don't think it looks dated even now! Regardless of its faults, the TU-22 has to be one of the best looking products of the Cold War!! Sleek, beautiful & thoroughly mean!! ;D

sideshowbob9