Convair F-106 Delta Dart from the Hellenic Air Force

Started by sletch, March 08, 2011, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sletch

Hi all,

Welcome to our friends from Greece... their F-106 Delta Dart fighters are welcome too  :mellow: The complete story is told below.

The work-in-progress can be seen on "fighters forum" http://fighters.forumactif.com/t41087-convair-f-106-delta-dart-hasegawa-1-72-maj-05-03-11-un-de-moins

Please note that a second F-106 is still to come  :ph34r:

See ya / Frederic

QuoteIn the late 70s, Greece started looking for an interceptor for its air force (Πολεμικὴ Ἀεροπορία). At that time, the Convair F-102 Delta Dagger was the main component of the Fighter Squadrons in this country.

Except the very expensive maintenance cost, the Dagger brought a lot of satisfaction to the Air Force. Therefore, the Greek government, tried to obtain 32 F-106 Delta Dart from the U.S.A.

The discussions were more complex than expected. Indeed, at that time, the radar of the Delta Dart was still classified. For this reason, the US government refused to the export  the Delta Dart. Finally, a agreement was found on the basis of the replacement of the avionics by a less efficient but more recent radar.

The Greek F-106s were decommissioned in 1993.

Extract from "Is this for real?" by Jonas LEITCH

Last finished!

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

PR19_Kit

That looks really smart.  :cheers:

Al F-106s look smart, but that Greek scheme suits it extremely well, dare I say better than the USAF one?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Never saw a lot of Darts, but those I did encounter were always spotless. Glad you didn't weather it. Very nice build!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Beauty ! She looks great in those colours. Nice one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sletch

Good evening,

Quote from: lenny100 on March 08, 2011, 02:27:17 PM
lovely clean build
Tank you very much  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 08, 2011, 03:46:07 PM
That looks really smart.  :cheers: Al F-106s look smart, but that Greek scheme suits it extremely well, dare I say better than the USAF one?
I agree with that. May be it's because we got used to the US scheme  :rolleyes:

Quote from: The Rat on March 08, 2011, 04:26:05 PMNever saw a lot of Darts, but those I did encounter were always spotless. Glad you didn't weather it. Very nice build!  :thumbsup:
Since I noticed that,I just can't understand why modern jets are that dirty!!!  :o

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 08, 2011, 08:22:41 PM
Beauty ! She looks great in those colours. Nice one. :cheers:
Tanx Captain Canada  <_<

Quote from: GTX on March 08, 2011, 11:41:40 PM
Quote from: lenny100 on March 08, 2011, 02:27:17 PMlovely clean build
What he said. Regards, Greg
Tanx too  ;D

See you / Frédéric
Last finished!

pedrospe

hi sletch, that is a great f-106, it is a pity that we don't see more of the USAF century series aircrafts, the f-106 and the f-109 were always my favorites ones.

best regards

Pedro

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sletch

Hi all,

I'm back ! (I kwow it's a little bit stupid but Terminator always says that. So it might be cool, no )

Quote from: pedrospe on March 10, 2011, 07:30:12 AMhi sletch, that is a great f-106, it is a pity that we don't see more of the USAF century series aircrafts, the f-106 and the f-109 were always my favorites ones.
best regards
Pedro
To be honnest, I am not that big fan of the century fighters. I love the  F-106. F-100, 102, F-104 are OK for me. I fact, I do prefer the prototypes such as the Republic XF-103 ( :wub:  ), F-107 and XF-108 ( :thumbsup: ). Overall, the F-106 is (for me) the most beautifull fighter ever built  :bow:

Quote from: ysi_maniac on March 10, 2011, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: GTX on March 08, 2011, 11:41:40 PM
Quote from: lenny100 on March 08, 2011, 02:27:17 PM
lovely clean build
What he said. Regards, Greg
Yeah! clean and elegant. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much ysi_maniac  ;)

See ya / Frederic
Last finished!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

Very nicely done, and very plausible. :thumbsup: Perhaps a little bit of heat discolouration on the exhaust? I don't think any jet engine would have a chromed nozzle. ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

comrade harps

Whatever.