1/700 ISO containers

Started by D-Angle, March 08, 2011, 01:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Angle

Has anyone come across someone selling these? I need some for my forthcoming starfreighter project.

I know there is the excellent Colombo Express model, but I don't need nearly that many. Also I believe that kit has them moulded in blocks, and a couple of individual ones would be useful. Any ideas?

deathjester

Try googling Ground Zero Games, they do all sorts of things like that, including space freighters!

PR19_Kit

You're correct, the Colombo Express does have them moulded in blocks, but in varying numbers. There are ZILLIONS of them though, and you'd be welcome to some of my surplus ones if you like?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

While not as crisp as the colombo express, you can make them from rectangular styrene tubing available at any good hobby shop.  I used this for my scratch 1/700 ATLANTIC CONVEYOR.  Chop into scale 40 foot or 20 foot sections and fill the ends in with putty.  Sorry I can not recall the exact tubingsize I used, but a quick calipper check shows these as 4.78 mm wide or 3/16 inch- close enough for 1/700 scale.  I left the white 20 footers near the front open. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 08, 2011, 06:38:07 PM
 I left the white 20 footers near the front open. 

They spent most of their time with the doors open anyway, I guess they were used as deck shelters for the guys looking after the QRA SHAR. In 1/700 scale there's precious little scope for adding skin detail to the containers I'd imagine.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Correct Kit, the containers I made have no detail. That would be tough.  Now for your 1/144 scale CONVEYOR that will be a different story....

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

I'm using some N scale railway containers made by a company in Aberdeen called C=Rail. They are excellent, albeit a tad pricey, but they are easily modifiable into the various versions they used on the real ship.

Amazingly the ones in the Revell Colombo Express actually have ribs on the sides and some vestigial door detail, but they're in blocks of 4 at the very minimum.

Regards
Kit