S & M Models 1/72nd resin P.1121

Started by Freightdog862, March 07, 2011, 01:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

Hi chaps,

I was talking to Mel Bromley, the 'M' in S & M at Peterborough on saturday. He said the P.1121 is finished and expected to go on sale at Hornchurch on 19th March. This should be a very nice kit, its mastered by Alan Southcombe (who did my EAP, plus lots of recent Alley Cat sets), and is pressure injected resin, which means tiny poor points and very few casting blocks. Mel said it will be around thr £50 mark, which for a kit of its size in resin is actually a bargain.

I will be getting some in stock hopefully soon after IPMS Southern Expo, and might have one before then to show some pics. I have no connection to this kit other than planning to stock some.

Colin       

The Wooksta!

I may be able to give you some resin bits...

When I saw the title, I thought "leather, whips & chains"....
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

I'd do it straight RAF, possibly in Gulf Pink and toned down markings (Hunter T12s as target markers?)  Use a Whirlibird/Maintrack one for the Indians.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Hobbes

Quote from: Overkiller on March 08, 2011, 11:14:37 AM

... the surface quality was "interesting", rather wavy and bumpy,

so, S&M after all?

rickshaw

Quote from: Overkiller on March 08, 2011, 11:14:37 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 08, 2011, 01:36:20 AM
When I saw the title, I thought "leather, whips & chains"....

It is a rather "unfortunate" name for a purveyor of fine resin kits, I bet a Google search for them could be rather "enlightening"....  :wacko:

I once worked with an aging Academic at a university.  He'd just been given a new PC with Windows 95 on it (this was in 1998) and was happy that he was now able to use the World Wide Web properly. He liked to use LATex (pronounced LAText) a typesetting/wordprocessing programme which was popular in the early 1980s.  He asked me how he could search for websites devoted to its use.  I mischievously suggested that he just type "latex" into a search engine.   Much amusement was had when he approached me afterwards and complained about the websites he'd been directed to.  :lol: :lol: :wacko:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rolead

Saw the P.1121 at Southern Expo today but they were all reserved (anyone here reserved one ?). It looks to be a very nice model indeed so I preordered one so should be with me soon. If picture do not appear beforehand I will post pics. The price at the show was £45.

Robert

NARSES2

Saw it at Southern as well. Looks very, very nice. I understand the first production run has sold out.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Freightdog862

More are due later this week, I should have some in stock soon.
Colin

Rolead

Kit arrived today so here are the pics as promised.

There are no weapons but they can be bought from O&O or Freightdog and the decal sheet is Xtradecal 72-047 Hunter sheet. The jet pipe is just a tube and there is no intake trunking or engine front so you could see straight through, although it would not be too difficult to fix.

The Wooksta!

I can't be 100% sure, but that looks very similar to the Maintrack/Whirlybird kit.  The breakdown is identical and many of the parts look cloned - the wheels and bang seat especially.  In terms of detail, it doesn't look like much of a jump in quality and with a £45 price tag, I'd expect a lot more than what you're getting.

No, not for me, not when I can get the Maintrack one for roughly a third of the price.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Hobbes

The casting quality looks excellent. No bubbles, nice thin walls and crisp detail.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

overscan

Quote from: Overkiller on March 08, 2011, 11:14:04 PM

So its one Whirlykit apiece to do the 1103 and 1116 (come to think of it I may get a third one, need to do the 1123 to complete the family tree), and at least one S&M resin one, to do Indian Air Force.....or Saudi....hmmmmm (thinks)

:cheers:

Duncan

Hmmm... just 3 kits to do the P1121 family tree?

I think you are underestimating :)
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Martin H

Quote from: Hobbes on March 25, 2011, 01:44:14 AM
The casting quality looks excellent. No bubbles, nice thin walls and crisp detail.

simple. It was machine cast. and fairly high pressure.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Freightdog862

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 24, 2011, 04:37:53 PM
I can't be 100% sure, but that looks very similar to the Maintrack/Whirlybird kit.  The breakdown is identical and many of the parts look cloned - the wheels and bang seat especially.  In terms of detail, it doesn't look like much of a jump in quality and with a £45 price tag, I'd expect a lot more than what you're getting.

No, not for me, not when I can get the Maintrack one for roughly a third of the price.

I spoke to the pattern maker the other day on another subejct, having seen this thread he mentioned that although he had an old Maintrack vac to reference from, the patterns are based on the Hygate drawings which the maintrack parts don't all match up to. The fuselage of the S&M kit is shorter and the nose shape if quite a lot different. I should be getting five delivered tomorrow (most already spoken for at Cosford), so will compare for myself!

Colin