DAF Strike Cobra

Started by NARSES2, May 31, 2004, 02:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Latest of the bench

Desert Air Force Strike Cobra Mk IIb

Serving with 336 (Greek Squadron) on the North Western Syrian Front in late 1943 in support of the Allied push into Kurdistan (Operation Caspian) which was part of the continuing drive by Allied forces in support of the hard pressed Russian's struggling against Axis forces on three fronts.

336 Squadron operated a mix of Strike Cobra's and Hurricane IIC bombers at this period in support of Allied ground forces. The Strike Cobra Mk II was equivalent to the contemporary P39N and the suffix was used by the RAF to denote the armament mix. In this case 1x37mm, 4x0.5". This mix proved extremely effective against Turkish armour which in the main consisted of Italian models with some Panzer II's and III's in suuport.

Although capable of carrying a 500lb bomb the RAF prefered to use their Cobra's in the AT role with a drop tank carried on the under fusalage rack which was used to give added loiter time over the target area before being jetisoned prior to the attack.

Things I learnt whilst building this kit - Eduard Masks lose their potency after a week or two - whence the pigs ear of a canopy. My Achilles heel. :dum:

Kit -Accademy P39 Aircobra
Decals - Revell Hurricane IIC

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Another shot of the Strike Cobra.

In 1944 336 re-equiped with Typhoon's, model to follow.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Aircav

Ace looking Cobra Chris  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Ollie

Neato buddy!!!

I love it!!

:wub:  

Mike Wren

looks ace Chris  :wub:  

F-32

nice looking bird Chris, always had a soft spot for the Cobra ^_^