G.1vw Fokker

Started by Tophe, February 27, 2011, 05:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

The next kit I am going to build is the Fokker G.1 that I want to make (very short span and) asymmetric, no matter how poor are my skills.
I am not good enough to move the central pod inside the boom for a single-engine single-fuselage-single-boom layout... Too bad.
My project was to install a double-engine on the port boom and no engine on the starboard one: either nothing or a radar. I wondered: how do we say double-Twin-Wasp in Dutch? That makes translating "Quadruple-Wasp", and Google Translate told me this is "viervoudige wesp", so a "G.1vw" code with no relation to a German licence VolksWagen...
(Checking if the normal G.1 was using Twin-Wasp, Wikipedia told me No, but Mercury. Anyway, this will be a Quadruple-Wasp prototype).
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

This is the principle of my project G.1a --> G.1vw:

saintkatanalegacy

looks tamed compared to your other creations ;)
Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Tophe

You are right, ahem... :-\
A quadruple Wasp radial is too much power for a single 3-bladed propeller, and contraprop are not funny enough. Well... with shafts and gears, that could drive also a pusher propeller (which would justify fully the twin-boom layout! yes, this must be the truth about the G.1... ;D)
[And I said I must reduce span drastically]:

Weaver

How about a push-pull engine pair on one side and a single boom on the other?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Yes (or like this below? :unsure:), it is funny :lol:. But I am not skillful enough to make it plastic :-\. And destroying a twin-boom layout is pain for me ;)
EDIT: Dear Weaver, I have made your designer name: part of Aviation History on my asymmetric aircraft site http://cmeunier.chez-alice.fr/Asymm_addition.htm Thanks!

philp

Different ideas as usual.

Been trying to find one of these kits for a RW build.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Cheers Tophe!

How about a three-surface layout?  ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Funny! :lol:
Or 4-engined G.1, rather easy as drawings, while I am unable to build them, sorry :-\

Tophe

Building has started: gluing, putty...
I consider using a 3rd propeller, as antitorque rotor (horizontal, from a P-47 kit). I know the push-pull layout may be balanced enough contrarotating, but the main propeller (tractive) is supersonic (noisy) and the extra pusher propeller is not counter-balancing enough...

Tophe

from my twin-boom topic http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20326.675.html
Quote from: Tophe on February 28, 2011, 10:43:45 AM
At http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,31754.0.html dear Weaver invented a wonderful 3-surface Fokker G.1 with 2 booms, and in French, we would say "bipoutre" meaning twin-boomer, but in English, I don't know if the word "twin" is appropriate, so I have made 2 derivatives (twin-tractor, or else twin-pusher) that may be better in this English collection.

Weaver

And here is a logical one which I quite fancy forsome heavy bomber projects (not based on the G.1 per se):

- Indiana Jones '

Tophe

Thanks Weaver for your great enrichment (so funny) to this (quite boring) topic! :thumbsup: :bow:

Tophe

Back to plastic... the model is taking shape:
(at last the starboard anti-torque rotor will not be 4-blade propeller from P-47 but 3-blade from Mc-202)