Junkers Ju 510 `Daylight Raid Interceptor`

Started by tc2324, February 24, 2011, 02:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

I was having a rumage through my spares box today when the makings of a `Lufty 46` design took hold. So I thought I`d join this GB for a bit of fun and post the progress so far on my vision that is the Junkers Ju 510....

Said spares box and the few bits that inspired me. While the bits are mainly 1/72, the finished build will be 1/48.

So how is this thing going to take off then and whats providing the power...?? Well it`s going to operate in the same way as the Me 163. Bolt on and `throw away` main u/c with a skid to land on. Take off powerplant is a rocket engine in the tail. (u/c is from a 1/48 P-38 and jet exhaust is from a 1/72 Jet Provost)

Next job, build a cockpit floor, and general cockpit area as the 1/72 Airfix Focke Wulf 154 kit is so bad. Cut the tail into the desired shape for the `rocket` exhaust and then stick it all together.

Next step, get a 1/72 Buccaneer bomb bay, cut and trim to fit and that should sort out where the rocket fuel tank will go.......

Soon be time for the filler........... :banghead:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dumaniac

PYF42

Bonjour
Wouaw !
I really want to see more !
Regards
Fred

tc2324

Got a few bits started tonight with regards to `making` the items this aircraft will need. First up was the landing ski. Got myself a decent bit of sprue like this.....

...... and after what seemed forever with the file, got it to look like this...........

Just need to work it a bit more and then add the struts. Next was the booster rocket pack to help this Junkers take off. Used a couple of SNEB rocket pods for this. Lobbed off the front sections and added caps to the front which will house the parachutes once these are jettisoned after take off.

And while that lot was drying out I started the tedious task of filling in the gaps and filing them down.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

So today while I`m waiting for a second application of filler to dry I started thinking about the backstory and why this aircraft may have been built. So lets imagine that the Ardennes offensive was a success and the germans have managed to halt the western advance and even push them back a bit. The year is now 1946 and in January Junkers start getting the Junkers 510 to the Luftwaffe in reasonable numbers. Now the allies still have control of the air, so that means airfields are a bit sparce, and the germans need to transport and launch the Junkers from any straight bit of road they can find. My solution is to have the aircraft sitting on a trolley, for want of a better word, which is used to transport the fighter around and is then used in the launch itself. Once airbourne the trolley is released and comes floating to earth on a parachute ready to be used again. 

So I need to build a trolley. Well, I found a reasonable sized bit of sprue.........

............ then trimmed it down at the edges. I kept the bits pointing inwards as they will help later. I`ve used a bit of Blu Tak to put the wheels in place and give you an idea of my idea. I may `shrink` the trolley as well later as it seems a little too big.

And finally, while the pilot won`t be included in the finished build, I`ve put him in to give you an idea of scale.

Tiger, Tiger!

pyro-manic

Heh, this is cool. :thumbsup:

Folding wings? Or a one-piece one that gets bolted on before launch?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

Thats just some great work with that sprue right there  :thumbsup: Great thinking!!

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tc2324

:cheers: guys.

Not to much done today. Put some primer on the fuselage then spent the rest of the time getting the launch dolley up and running. It`s about 75% complete now and I hope I`ve made it look reasonably lightwieght and cheap as per it`s task in launching the fighter and what the Germans might have gone for by this time in the `what if` extended war.

Tiger, Tiger!

Taiidantomcat

tc2324

Thanks chaps. ;)

Got round to nearly finishing the launch dolley. Considering it was made of sprue, scrap plastic and spares, I`m happy with how it turned out. Two pics, one of the dolley itself, and note the housing at the rear for the parachute after it is jettisioned after launch. Second pic is of the aircraft sitting in place on the dolley. I have fitted the wings which came from a 1/72 Puccara kit, put in the filler and am obviously in the middle of getting them smoothed off. I also added four internal guns just for fun....... :wacko:

Tiger, Tiger!

Taiidantomcat

tc2324

Been a bit busy lately so here`s a piccy update as to where I`m at so far.

Tiger, Tiger!

Doc Yo

Something akin to the proposed Junkers 'Walli' interceptor, I see. Looks good.