A Westland 'Dragonfly'

Started by Glenn, May 28, 2004, 07:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Hi there,
    I took this idea from James Gurney's second book if Dinotopia. Basing the model around a Westland Scout, (because I had one around, doing nothing!) and wondered how one could improve it! The fuselage and cockpit are as kit, although I've blackened out the glass, to give it that 'bug-eye' look.
I cut the tail off just at the anti-torque vertical bit, and extended it out a full tail length. On the tail, added the small fin pieces, that you'll find on a real dragonfly. The engine is still there, although the tailpipe is now single, and the wings are made from 15thou clear Evergreen, with thin wire as support. The veins on the wings were drawn in pelt-tip and re-done in black paint with an extra fine brush.
The wings are set with the front pair in 'down' mode while the rear ones are in the 'up' mode. and there are 6 legs holding on to the branch.
The colour, a dark orange, 'cause I saw one in the back yard in that colour, pitty, if I'd have waited a couple of days, I'd have painted it Yellow and Black.
Glenn

Captain Canada

Wow...that's awesome, Lyn !

Great work and imagination on that one.....and you're right, Dragonflies are amazing creatures !

Is it true that they only live for 1 day ?

So many beautiful colours as well....one of natures many amazing feats !

:wub:  :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

QuoteIs it true that they only live for 1 day ?
Nah, that's Mayflies yer thinkin' of.

Dragonflies are also just about the best mosquito controllers you could have, as the underwater larvae eat mosquito larvae, and adults munch on adult mossies.

In fact, the idea that Purple Martins are good for mosquito control can backfire. They will eat mosquitos, but prefer larger prey, like dragonflies. So if you're in an area with lots of dragonflies and consequently few mosquitos, the martins will wipe out the dragonflies and cause the mosquito population to rise.

Dang, this biological warfare stuff can get tricky.  :ph34r:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

Wonderful model... :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
What about the size, do you imagine this hybrid as a giant insect or a tiny helicopter? Anyway, even if it is not big, it is great! :D  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Swamphen

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wacko:  :lol:

Rat: One problem with Purple Martins (aka PUMAs) is that they have this annoying habit of going to bed just before the skeeters come out. In fact, the "eat 1000 mosquitoes per day" bit was based on the examination of one, exceptional, bird - as a rule PUMAs do not eat mosquitoes.

Bats are better. Put up a bat house today!

The Rat

QuoteRat: One problem with Purple Martins (aka PUMAs) is that they have this annoying habit of going to bed just before the skeeters come out. In fact, the "eat 1000 mosquitoes per day" bit was based on the examination of one, exceptional, bird - as a rule PUMAs do not eat mosquitoes.

Yes, it all comes back to me now, I remember reading something about that. But you still see the old fable repeated ad nauseum, and parks departments still erect purple martin houses, which are promptly usurped by the ubiquitous Passer domesticus.

QuoteBats are better. Put up a bat house today!

Yup, got one, and as soon as we're out of this basement apartment and back to our house in Pickering it's going up on the west wall! I am absolutely wild about chiropterans!

Now, back to that model. I LOVE IT! A true labour of love by someone who obviously knows both helicopters and dragonflies. My hat is off to you sir!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

QuoteBasing the model around a Westland Scout,...

I'm presuming that's the Airfix one? I've got one somewhere collecting dust, really should finish it one day.

I notice that your bio did not include the words 'naturalist' or 'biologist'. Damnit man, you've got skills there that indicate you would be good at either one!  

Swamphen

Quoteparks departments still erect purple martin houses, which are promptly usurped by the ubiquitous Passer domesticus.
Or worse, much worse, Sturnus vulgaris...  :angry:  

Glenn

The dragonfly project was just a fun thing, 'cause I love opening the envelope!
As to Bats, it depends on their size: as here in OZ we have giant fruit bats, (flying foxes) and you wouldn't want them in your back yard, although they prefer fruit to mozzies!
I'm a 'softie' when it comes to animals, and got the idea from Dinotopia. (and thought it might stir the imagination)
Yes, it is the Airfix model, as you've got to do something with the kit, and to Tophe, I see it as a small insect, as if it were full size, I don't see the organic wings lifting it, do you?
It would have been better with, say a Bell 47G cockpit, or maybe a Lima.
Glenn