The Supermarine Swift and Operation Musketeer

Started by The Rat, February 21, 2011, 03:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Even before the Suez Crisis of 1956, pilots of the Supermarine Swift were learning that, while it was hopelessly outclassed as a high altitude fighter, it was a very stable weapons platform at low level. Accordingly they approached RAF Headquarters with a plan to reconfigure the aircraft for ground attack missions. 56 Squadron was given the task of working the aircraft into the new role, and when the action in Egypt came to a head they were ready for action. Despite the abnormally high maintenance problems encountered, which were normal for the Swift, dedicated ground crews kept the squadron active throughout the crisis, and the squadron's contribution to air combat was considered critical to the eventual success of Operation Musketeer.

I have built this kit before, have a number in the stash, and test fitting of all brings nothing but joy. Except for this one. I must have got one that was turned out by a jilted lover or a drunken trainee. Oh well, slap it together anyway and give it a slightly different paint scheme and you've got a whiffer. No prize-winner, but after languishing for a while on the bench it's finally done. Enjoy! (But don't look too closely...)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

Anything looks good in Suez stripes! Nice idea.  Recon would have been a natural role as well. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Rat

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 21, 2011, 04:14:45 PMRecon would have been a natural role as well.

It was in the real world, and it was damned good at it, perhaps the best in NATO for a while.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Nice one Ratty. Always liked the Swift, one of the few from that era that appeals to me and you've done a good job with that old kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

kitbasher

Very, very nice - and a pleasant change to see a 'desk-to' finish, too.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter