USAF Wild Weasel HELP please...

Started by Radish, February 21, 2011, 04:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Chaps, looking to build a USAFWild Weasel for the USAF SIG in 1/72nd....but ideally I'd like a "project" that either was considered or at least planned. BUT....there MUST be some basis in reality....the USAF idea of the Tornado development is fine, but the F-18G Growler in USAF colours probably isn't (unless the idea was explored!!)
Any help with this would be much appreciated, especially drawings, etc..

Big hugs,

Terry ;D
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

tc2324

Not sure that there were many aircraft types considered for the role in real life.. :-\  ...., however if you wanted to go a little `out there` but have some sense of reality, the A-6 Intruder in a USAF SEAC scheme would look good. :wacko:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Maverick

Terry,

Before the F-16 became the SEAD platform of choice, I believe the USAF considered F-15Ds.  They even went to the extent of doing up artwork of a FAST Pack equipped B or D with HARMs.  I did have a pic of it, but lost it when I lost most of my hardcovers.  It was speculative anyway.

HTH,

Mav

scooter

F-4Gs were the platform of choice until Desert Storm; EF-111 Ravens I believe had the capability as well of mounting ARMs. F-105Ds were used in Vietnam, and the AF had contemplated Delta Darts with either a solitary or pair of SM-2 ARMs. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Radish

That F-106 looks interesting....same with the F-15 concept.
I've come across this build on Hyperscale too...

PR19_Kit

The two seat F-106B might be even more relevant, the GIB would have done all the 'searching and shooting' while the pilot flew the thing. Long range tanks might have been essential for some decent loiter time though, so it may need some extra pylon fitments.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

In 1/72, there are F-106B conversion kits but they get very pricey on Ebay. I am still waiting for one that I can afford.  :angry:

There was also a F-107F Wild Weasel. The pic links are broken but I believe it was featured in either FSM or SAM.

Agreed, it would be a cool looking WW.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Scooterman

Quote from: scooter on February 21, 2011, 05:19:08 AM
F-4Gs were the platform of choice until Desert Storm; EF-111 Ravens I believe had the capability as well of mounting ARMs. F-105Ds were used in Vietnam, and the AF had contemplated Delta Darts with either a solitary or pair of SM-2 ARMs. 

Close Scooter, but to update your list.........

F-4Gs were used in DS retired round '95
EF-111 had no weapons cleared.  Speed and its ECM systems were her only defences.
F-100Fs and then the F-105Fs were the first USAF platforms
And the SM-2 Standards on the Dart were part of a project to hunt down MIG-25s, not SAM sites.  The Israelis tried it too (with no luck)

IMHO, I'd go with the F-15D/E idea, Terry.  At least AGM-88 HARMs were qualified for the Beagle (F-15E)

JayBee

Quote from: The Big Gimper on February 21, 2011, 05:49:00 AM

There was also a F-107F Wild Weasel. The pic links are broken but I believe it was featured in either FSM or SAM.

Agreed, it would be a cool looking WW.

and pre-dating that article was this

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23090.0/highlight,f-107g.html

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

I think the F-15E is a natural Terry, the F-4G was a Wild Weasel so the Big Mac has had experience with this type of aircraft.  Especially now they've come up with the 'Silent Eagle', combining the two would be a really good idea.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Radish

Thanks guys.
Looking at an F-15E kit as a basis....

Mossie

Could you put similar mods on an F-16XL?  It seems logical that if they were proposed for the the F-15 & the F-16CJ got them, then they could have gone on an XL.  I've not got any info to back it up though.

Royal Saudi Air Force F-5E's carried Shrikes AFAIK, maybe an emergency fit for USAF Tiger II's?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

The F-16XL was a consideration....there's a painting in the WW book by Squadron Signal of an F-16XL with the big spine. The XL is longer so extra mods needed.

GTX

Real World Options as far as I am aware are/were:

Tornado
F-15E
F-16XL

If you wanted to go closer to the whiffverse though, you could probably include:

B-1B - one big Wild Weasel  ;D
F-101 - don't know why, just seems like a good idea
F-107 - if it had beat the F-105 then an F-107G Wild Weasel seems natural (in fact, someone here may have already done IIRC)
F-111 - the RAAF trialled F-111s with HARM (see pics below), so I am sure the concept could have been applied to USAF F-111s.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

scooter

Quote from: Overkiller on February 21, 2011, 12:29:14 PM
F-111 WW makes good sense for a more "wiffy" build.

Or....

...an idea Evans has occasionally kicked about, a Wild Weasel Vigilante in USAF service.

Still, I say do the Wild Eagle, I think a F-15E, kitted with the F-4G's undernose gear would look seriously cool! It would also make the JMN's do a double take and start reaching for their references (ie, their egos)...

:cheers:

Duncan
(...and if you don't do the Wild Eagle, I may just be forced to do it myself!)
It'd probably be easier, and cooler looking, to mount the fairing in place of either Lightning II or FLIR pods.  Or just take over the centerline hardpoint, and leave the pods.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng