Santa Fe Hymek

Started by bodgybuilder, February 21, 2011, 03:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodgybuilder

Hello All
First photo post here. Introduced to this site by Glenn (Glenn's Current Modeling Projects), a prolific modeler I met through the local hobby shop. Glenn is one of the few people I have met that understand the need to model the could have been, even though the original designers/builders failed to see it.

Originally a Hornby shell from the Thomas range, fitted to an Atlas/Roco mechanism and done as a what if scheme.

The builder, Beyer Peacock (Hymek) Ltd, was a joint venture between Bristol Siddeley Engines (BSE) (licensed to build Maybach engines), Stone-Platt Industries (licensed to build Mekydro transmissions) and the locomotive manufacturer Beyer, Peacock and Company. At the time they were built, the Hymeks were the most powerful diesel hydraulic locomotive operating with a single engine - the Maybach MD870.

One of the first Class 35 locomotives was deported to America for testing by Santa Fe in 1955.

Matthew
Can we bodge it?.......Uh.......Yeah, I think so

The Rat

Very nice! What scale/size is that?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

That would be a GP35 then, right?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Might we in the future see a war-bonnet livery Deltic? I can just imagine the  Napier roar accross the plains !   The other option is double headed  Canadian Pacific Garretts with about 2  and a half miles of boxcars behind them.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

pyro-manic

I know nothing about trains, but that looks very nice. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

bodgybuilder

It is a British outline Class 35 Hymek shell on an American outline GP40 mechanism in HO (1/87) scale.
Funny you should mention Class 55 Deltics, as I have started a Dapol (ex Airfix) plastic kit that will need an adventurous paint scheme.
Matthew

Mossie

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 21, 2011, 02:54:36 PM
I know nothing about trains, but that looks very nice. :thumbsup:

I'm with Alun here, I'm a train heathen, but yeah, it's a very fetching scheme.  Good to see something different for a change, hope to see some more including that Deltic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Trains are cool, and it's always nice to see one. Thanks !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rheged

Quote from: bodgybuilder on February 21, 2011, 03:41:28 PM
Funny you should mention Class 55 Deltics, as I have started a Dapol (ex Airfix) plastic kit that will need an adventurous paint scheme.
Matthew

One of my sons (now at university) built a (static) Dapol Deltic and finished it in LMS maroon.  He's  currently  using Dapol bits during his vacations to build a mighty Garrett  and would welcome suggestions as to a colour scheme

Army of One

Other than they used to go choo choo I don't know much about trains......but I can see a well built model  :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

I've got quite a number of the original Kitmaster loco kits in The Loft, including a Garrett, but I suspect that if I built it as anything  BUT an LMS Garrett, or a BR one, the local railway JMN group would do awful things to me!

Mind you, if I only showed it at SIG events they'd never know, would they?

The whole American model 'railroad' scene is stacked with what they call 'own roads', that's a model railway using conventional locos and stock (mostly....) but painted up in an imaginary scheme, like inventing your own airline. Mine is an N scale railroad entitled the 'Pinetree and Western Railroad', usualy shortened to 'Pine West' and I've invented my own house style for the road etc.

The whole layout is pictured below, but no details of the stock are visible I'm afraid.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

If most of East Africa , and Algeria  too, can use Garretts, so can  Pine West!   JMNs, also known as rivet counters , are a pain in the tonsils (or possibly much further down the digestive tract)

bodgybuilder

I agree about the rivet counters, I build solely to have fun. It seems I have trouble building anything standard, everything must be improved, which seems to upset some people so it is a win all round.
Matthew

Glenn

Hey Matthew....way to go!! Such a change from aircraft. Just a thought......a BR railmotor in a 'Western' diarama, (High Noon) with carriages and a.......no, the men in the white coats are here! (notice I said MEN?)
Glenn

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on February 22, 2011, 08:30:57 AM
If most of East Africa , and Algeria  too, can use Garretts, so can  Pine West!   JMNs, also known as rivet counters , are a pain in the tonsils (or possibly much further down the digestive tract)

I wish, but the Kitmaster models are OO or HO scale and the 'Pine West' is N scale. I do have a BR N scale Garrett though, built from the Langley kit and two Graham-Farrish LMS 2-6-0s. I feel a re-paint coming on....  ;D

Bodgybuilder, what scale is your Hymek? It looks huge in the piccies for some reason, but your write-up indicates it's probably OO. If it is you've done a great job on the railings and stuff. Top work.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit