Norseman AL.1

Started by kitbasher, February 20, 2011, 05:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

At the end of the Second World War, the RAF's Air Observation Post squadrons were spread across the globe.  Most were equipped with small Austers of various marks - excellent spotting platforms for the Army but limited in load carrying capability and extremely basic but functional aircraft.  Although the RAF was equipped with numerous communications types, none of these were as suitable or as rugged as, for example, the Noorduyn UC-64 (as used by the Americans during the war) to provide in-theatre transport for British Army personnel.
So the answer was to order Norsemen of their own.  What to do, though - take used, ex-US examples (a cheap and attractive option, given the parlous state of the British Treasury in the late 40s), or order new ones from Canada that would last much longer?  The latter option was chosen - a popular decision given Canada's unflinching support for Britain during the war.
So it was that 24 Norsemen were purchased and designated 'Norsemen CC.1', the first entering service with 657 Sqn in 1947.  657 was the only full squadron to equip with the type (additionally acting as the Norseman Operational Training Unit), the remainder being operated by numerous Flights around the world.
Unsurprisingly, the Norseman proved to be a rugged, reliable aircraft and saw notable service in support of the British Army during the Korean War, the Malayan Emergency and in Kenya during the Mau Mau uprising.  With the formation of the Army Air Corps in September 1957, the RAF transferred its remaining Norsemen to the Army, when they were redsignated 'Norseman AL.1'.  Mindful of the Norseman's utility and the need to preserve the capability it represented, the Army Air Corps sought to replace the type and again looked to Canada for the answer - this time in the shape of the De Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver.  Beaver AL.1s replaced Norsemen in the early 1960s, after which most of the Norsemen were scrapped.  
Fortunately one was preserved (VX113 formerly of 651 Sqn), and can be seen to this day in the Museum of Army Flying at the Army Air Corps Centre, Middle Wallop, Hampshire.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Very nice indeed  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

thedarkmaster

very nice and very believable !!
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

kitbasher

Thanks guys.
There's a bit of a story behind this model.  I found it built on the 'find an old kit a new home' charity table at last year's Scale Model World.  It was finished in a whif scheme of a couple of greys plus dayglo red control surfaces, main u/c fairings and engine cowling and finished in low-viz Canadian markings; one of the skis was broken off and the prop was missing. Snapped it up for £1 as I'd been thinking of doing a Norsemen in Army Air Corps colours for a while.
The rebuild began by stripping the paint off.  Fairy Power Spray was used for the first time, and very effective it was.  As the pictures below whill show, a number of components broke away or were removed (the stripping wasn't complete at the time the photos were taken).  I needed wheels and used a couple of main wheels from a long lost Frog F4U Corsair, plus the nosewheel off a Matchbox Hawk T1 for the tailwheel.  Sadly, of the transparencies all but the windscreen were lost in the clean up, Krystal Klear coming to the rescue.  Camo scheme based on the Airfix Auster AOP.6, which also gave up most of the markings.

And then at Milton Keynes the other week a chance remark to a fellow forumite revealed the previous owner's identity.....
;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

So, who was the previous owner, and any photos of her before you started strippping it ?

You've done a very lovely job on this one....especially now that I know it was a rebuild. The colours and markings look great on an already beautiful aeroplane.

If the Army would have taken some USAAF examples in the interim while Canada was producing the new ones, you could of had a much larger inventory, and a cheaper supply of spares, too....

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Thanks very much, CC.
Previous owner was Howard of Effingham, and sadly no pre-makeover pictures.  By the way, the prop was (I think) from an ancient Revell P-36 that passed away peacefully into the great model cupboard in the sky about 30 years ago!
;D ;D

NARSES2

Yup she's a nice one David
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Gotta love the Norseman, eh Toad?! I've heard that some Canadian delivery rooms have a picture of a bush-plane to bring the baby good luck (well not really, but they should).

Excellent job on that one kb, she's a worthy addition to any shelf!  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

CAO 700

Beautiful planes are french! (Amiot 143, for example...ugh!)

Gondor

I have a Norseman in the stash I think..... might follow your example with it as it is quite believable and not many know what the Army Air Corps has flown or even flies today.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

David,

An excellent build, or re-build, as I said at MK. It looks so plausible that I didn't realise it WAS a Whiff at all!

And you say you re-did the windsheild with Kyrstal Kleer? Could you give a blow by blow account of how you did that please? I've never managed to use the stuff for any transparencies THAT large before.

Oh yes, prepare to be banned for life from Middle Wallop once the Joe Publics start going there demanding to see their Norsman.......  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 20, 2011, 01:38:27 PM
And you say you re-did the windshield with Krystal Kleer? Could you give a blow by blow account of how you did that please? I've never managed to use the stuff for any transparencies THAT large before.

Hi Kit,
Not the windscreen, no.  As mentioned above, of the transparencies all but the windscreen were lost in the clean up - windscreen was saved.  Rest were replaced with Krystal Kleer - I filled a number 6 pointed (not flat) brush with the stuff, plunged it one by one into the window apertures, wiggled it about to get contact on each of the sides and progressively reduced the motion until the area was filled.  Surface tension did the rest.  Once set (and after painting, varnishing, etc) I then applies Johnson's Clear to each one.
I think I got lucky as I only needed to do each aperture the once.
;D ;D

Mossie

An excellent build, or re-build, as I said at MK. It looks so plausible that I didn't realise it WAS a Whiff at all!

Got to agree, if you had told me the British Army had operated a handful of Norsemen I'd have believed you.  Very nice refurb! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Howard of Effingham

hmm, what was this one originally finished in you might ask....

canadian low vis grays with bright red control surfaces and engine cowling.

i then lost interest and the rest is all down to kitbasher.  ;D
Keeper of George the Cat.

kitbasher

Oh yes, prepare to be banned for life from Middle Wallop once the Joe Publics start going there demanding to see their Norsman.......  ;D ;)

I feel a post on ARC and Hyperscale coming on!
;D ;D