A Kawasaki into a Supermarine, possibly!

Started by Kerrillc, February 17, 2011, 11:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrillc

I added a Kawasaki Ki-64 to my stash recently, now here is the concept, should I attempt to convert this into the Supermarine 391?

The 64's nose is only slightly pointed on the top decking with rocker covers to be added. The rear fuselage would possibly need reduction (thinning) and lengthening (the 391 being 3ft longer), the fin and rudder would definitely need to be reworked. The tail planes look just about right, the main wings could possibly be worked on to emulate the Spiteful/Attacker style wings (adding leading edge radiators), albeit that the 64's span is 44ft against the 391's 43ft, the cockpit has a slight raised decking effect which would have to be flattened. It is obvious to me that I'd have to get a new canopy from someone like Hannants.

I have just got to either satisfy this itch or put the whole thing out of my (admittedly deranged) mind, but could I seek your collective wisdom? I am not going to commit myself, but I would appreciate your comments on this. Am I ready to be certified insane?

Thanks

Kerrill

MY EDIT
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

Kerrillc

I kept thinking about the possibility, so I got the 64 out and looked at it and then compared it with the 391 drawing in BSP fighters, and it seems that looking at the kit there is a definite resemblance to the 391. It is nice that firms will try to produce the aircraft that didn't make it.

Sorry the comparison picture isn't that clear but I felt a clear sense of relief that the kit (it's an MPM kit) does have this inaccuracy.

So now that I have a fairly concrete idea that the it's doable, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Over to you.

Thanks for putting up with my insanity!

Kerrill

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Kerrillc

Duncan, thank you for that gracious offer, would you please be so kind as to do that as I'm in the process of getting a new scanner (my old one's kicked the bucket).

It's the first time I have had such an off the wall idea. And to be truthfully honest I am rather looking forward to it!

If you don't mind I'll PM you my e-mail address. I hope that I can assist you in some way in the future.

Regards

Kerrill

Kerrillc

Duncan, that's outstanding!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :party:  :party:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Many thanks

Kerrill

kitnut617

Funny you should bring this up right now, I was looking at my Airfix F2H-2 Banshee only last night, and though that the air intake part of the inner wing would work real good for a Supermarine 391.  That and the Attacker wings I have spare would work and now you've come up with a fuselage to use ----  :thumbsup:

Did you know that the main wheels stand upright in the fuselage when they fold away ? The axle to u/c leg has a hinge and a mechanical link to rotate it as it retracts into the bay.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Kerrillc

hi Kitnut

I've been fretting about the wings, especially the radiators, so if you could help I'd be very grateful.

I looked at the 391's drawing in BSP especially about the undercarriage, so that explains much.

I have got to scoot off right now, do you have any thing that need some help with?

f you need something I might have it in my stash as I picked up one of the Heller Modern Weapon Kits.

Regards

Kerrill

kitnut617

I've read that the outer wings are from a Spiteful, the new wing/radiator part just added on to them.  I think I've got a Ki-64 in the stash too, was it called a 'Rob' or something like that, and has it got two engines and counter rotating props (They were powered like a Gannet's prop).
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Kerrillc

That there is the bunny Kitnut! Go for it! Build another! I'll swipe the parts or be brave and scratch it somehow!

Cheers

Kerrill