543 Sqn RAF markings 1/72

Started by Mossie, February 16, 2011, 07:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

A bit of a shot in the dark, does anybody have any postwar 543 Squadron markings they can spare?  The only aircraft 543 Sqn operated postwar were Valiants & Victors so it might be a little obscure. 

I just need the Heron's head marking & to be even more picky it's the hi-viz marking I need, not the anti-flash version.  I know Airdecal does a sheet with them for the forthcoming Airfix Valiant, but it's pricey for just those markings.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Simon.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

It shouldn't be impossible to do the decals if there's some decent artwork available. I've found some good prints of the Squadron badge itself but can't find any of the fin badge.

Have you any links? I could knock the decals up in a few days.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Thanks Kit!  I've printed my own decals before, but I've had a problem with resoloution, they end up quite pixely.  The fin badge is identical to the emblem on the squadron badge without the crest, the Heron's head with a padlock in it's beak.

If you've got the Aerofax guide for the Victor it's on the last page with the other squadron badges, I'm guessing it's the same for the Valiant book too.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sideshowbob9

I have a reasonable pic of the Heron head for when I get round to printing my own decals. I can send it later today. If you have some experience, I may ask you to print some for me!  ;)

PR19_Kit

I don't have the Aerofax book, but I do have some other Victor references, I should have looked first.  :banghead:

In any case I do have some good .jpgs of the full Squadron crest so I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens.

What overall size do you need for the disc? And it's as easy to print off 20 as it is to do one.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Not as big as I had remembered.......drat!

Mossie

I found this one, modified from a crest.  I could scan the one from the Aerofax guide if a larger version is any better?

Kit, 5mm high should do it.  The Valiants & Victors just used the Heron's head itself, although I guess it could be on a disc as a realistic alternative?

PR19_Kit

OK Mossie, I've done one on a white disc, and I'll scake it to 5 mm, shouldn't be a problem.

All the piccies I've seen all have the heron facing the same way, but did the real aircraft have them 'handed' on the other side?

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Something I never thought of!  Yeah, all the photo's of Victor SR.2's in the Aerofax guide Victor SR.2's have the Heron always facing left, not handed.

PR19_Kit

OK, thanks.

See below for a 5 mm dia badge scaled to a 1/72 Victor fin rough outline. Does that look about the right size to you?

How many would you like? 5 is easy, even 20 is easy, 100 might take up a bit of space....  ;D

I've done one in black and white and with a coloured heron, done from your piccie above, both in a black circle so you can see where to cut the decal as it will be on an overall white sheet.

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Thanks again Kit!  Would 4mm be okay?  I've checked 5mm again & it seems just a tad too large.  The Victor markings were somewhat larger, yours will be going on a much smaller airframe, you can probably guess what! ;)

I shouldn't need many, I just need two for a single build.  Would six to allow for mistakes be okay?

Cheers again! :cheers:

Simon.

PR19_Kit

Mossie,

At 4 mm you can only JUST see it's a heron! I'll do you a run of 4 mm ones and a run of 5 mm, just in case, OK?

Sideshowbob, how many would you like and what size?

Regards
Kit

Mossie

sideshowbob9

QuoteSideshowbob, how many would you like and what size?

Sorry for the delay, just started a new job (12 hour shifts....  :-\ ).

I'm planning on doing a 543 retirement scheme similar to 39 Sqns with the Canberra ie hemp with a grey tail with the heron in place of the winged bomb. If I could have a couple of greyscaled herons suitable for either a 1/72 Voodoo or Mirage IV tail (haven't decided which) that would be great! Something like 8mm? Maybe a cm?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on February 22, 2011, 11:53:35 AM
Sorry for the delay, just started a new job (12 hour shifts....  :-\ ).

I'm planning on doing a 543 retirement scheme similar to 39 Sqns with the Canberra ie hemp with a grey tail with the heron in place of the winged bomb. If I could have a couple of greyscaled herons suitable for either a 1/72 Voodoo or Mirage IV tail (haven't decided which) that would be great! Something like 8mm? Maybe a cm?

Ouch, 12 hr shifts? Awful.  :banghead:

OK, I'll try out 8mm and 10mm Herons on scaled F-101 and Mirage IV tails and put samples scans on here. Be a few days as I'm away for a short while now.

Regards
Kit