Main Menu

SEAC Meteor F2

Started by Gondor, February 13, 2011, 10:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Been thinking about building the Meteor F2 for at least a year or two. This group build has got me making models at, for me, a prodigious rate. This is build number four for me!! :blink: :blink:

The basic idea is that the Axial engined Meteor F2 does go into production but as the under-slung engines make it look a bit like an Me 262 from the front or rear the aircraft is only used overseas. SEAC is not a theatre that I have build many aircraft from and with Spinner showing how nice the roundels look I raided my decal bank almost as soon as I started separating the parts from the sprue.

Biggest problem is changing the engines as the Airfix kit has the upper and lower parts of the engine cowling moulded as part of the wing, so if you chop them out the wing ends up in 4 parts with a big gap between the inner and outer parts. So after fiddling around with a few items that usually clutter up my work bench I decided to make some wing spars. Obvious really  :blink: but how to fit spars without ending up with the wrong gap and an odd angle !! :blink:
I did think about calling a plumber as they are usually good at fitting spars but decided that the build did not warrant the expense. So left to my own devices I realised that I could use un-molested wing parts from the other Meteor in my stash to ensure that the lower wings fitted together correctly while they are attached to the spars. Usefully the spars are at the front and rear of the undercarriage bays meaning less work in boxing them in.

The above picture shows the rear spar dry fitted. I managed to get around the problem of getting the outer wing at the correct angle by sanding the underside of the spar untill it fitted nice and smoothly.

This image shows the front spar dry fitted into place. The same method was used for this spar as for the rear or main spar. Again the spar helps box in the undercarriage bay.

For the moment this is the last picture. It shows a dry run of fitting the parts of the upper wing without the engine cowling in place. It looks as if there is going to be a lot of PSR in this aircraft's future.  :blink: :banghead:
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

I'm going to watch your progress Gondor, I started one some time ago but it hasn't progress much from the photos below.

From what I've read and seen in photos, it got the raised undercarriage of the Trent Meteor (or the Trent Meteor got the u/c of this one because the Metro-Vick F.9-40M was the second prototype to fly)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Your right as far as my reference material goes. Not got that far in the planning stage though and I can always cheat by modelling the aircraft in flight.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

More work carried out.

Now to stick it all together seeing how its all in pieces.

The main spar is stuck in line with the rear of the wheel well and the outer panels of the wings are in turn stuck to that. The Upper wing parts from a spare Meteor kit are holding all the parts in their proper place so hopefully everything will stick together correctly. We will find out tomorrow  :blink:

If this part goes well then the front spar will be added tomorrow evening.

Gondor

buzzbomb

Well thought through execution so far.

Interested in how this comes out

More please

Gondor

not for another 24 hours at the earliest buzzbomb as I have work tomorrow followed by Badminton so it will be about this time before I get to do anything else.

Gondor

Gondor

OK, I know I said nothing was going to happen for about 24 hours...... well I was wrong  :banghead:

Don't worry though..... nothing bad has happened. I simply decided to find out if the rear spar was set firmly enough. Luckily as I use Humbrol Liquid Poly the parts have been welded together enough for me to add the front spar.

Not sure if once I have the outer wings upper panels stuck on if I will work on the wheel wells or make alterations to the wing attachment area on the fuselage to cope with all the extra plastic running from one side to the other.  :blink:

I am thinking that I will build this with just the engine change and the extended undercarriage legs to follow the development of the F2 as happened with the F1 into the F3.

Gondor

kitnut617

You could always go the route of the Avon and Sapphire FTB's, these had the engine nacelles above and below the wing but more below than above it.  You still need the extended u/c though.   You could also give it an early type of afterburner too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

I am defiantly going the route of your build kingnut617 though I will depict it as an operational machine so the differences between the original F2 and my F2 will be effectively the same as between the Mk1 and the MkIII which was the canopy and tail bullet. Other than that it will be the same as the only F2 built.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Very neat indeed. Never seen one of these before, looks natural to me !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Looking forward to this one Alistair - interesting build  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I'm watching this with interest.  Would you consider doing a second for use as a master?

If you've no plans for the remains of the engines, could I scrounge them?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Taiidantomcat

Looking great! I like the reinforcing wing spars too!

I know how you feel I have about six ideas for this GB (after I decided I wasn't going to participate at all!!)  :blink:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

The spars were not for reinforcement but to hold the outer parts of the wing in the right place after the engines were chopped out. I used a hooked nose scribing tool which I am sure has ended up straighter than it used to be after gouging out the engines to keep as much wing in place as possible.  :blink: :blink:

Lee you can get the remains of the engine cowling's, how soon do you want them?

I managed a little work this evening, cut the notches so that the wing spars can fit into the fuselage half's. Pictures tomorrow.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

No desperate hurry.  Perth will do?  I've got to find the wings they'll be attached to first!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic