Back by popular demand!

Started by Taiidantomcat, February 10, 2011, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

I really wanted to participate in this build. But I have a lot of models already going, (too many) plus lots of real life stuff happening (weak!) So I kicked around several ideas for this build. A lot of stuff I have wanted to do for a while, I broke out lots of kits, made lists and spent an unbelievable amount of time weighing options just to come right back to where I had started -- "I should finish the P-38 Dinah for the '46 GB!"

mock up from way back:

Painted stuff from today:

A while back, I messed up one of the engine mounts, cutting it back too far so I am repairing that (one of those time consuming problems that causes you to put a model aside for a while) I also found some F-14 ventral fins that will fit perfectly which helps me solve the "how do i change the tail?" problem I have been having, along with including f-14 parts in almost every build i do  :wacko:

Have a lot going on, but I hope to actually finish this GB  :cheers:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Cliffy B

BUILD IT, BUILD IT, BUILD IT!!!!
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

buzzbomb

Yowzaaa !!! sweet looking bird... and that is already.
Waiting to see this in full plumage :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Looks interesting to me, I'd certainly like to see it finished! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ChernayaAkula

If there ever was a design worthy of a revive, it is this one!  :bow: Even just held together with tape, it looks like the incarnation of "awesome"!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dumaniac

looks interesting - look forward to the end

GTX

Good to see this back on the work bench.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Doc Yo

Looks promising, but I have to ask-does she get hinomarus, or stars and bars?

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

comrade harps

The mystery of the operator has me perplexed and speculating.

For some reason PRU pink comes to mind...
Whatever.

Weaver

It's a damned nice looking conceptso I hope you do get time to finish it (I sympathise).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

First off thank you for all the support folks! Its great to have an idea in your head for years and have it look great to you, but also get others excited!  :bow: This is going to be a Japanese aircraft  :cheers: (however that very top picture makes me think "Racer" so i might do another in Italian racing red!!)

Rattle bombed cockpit (Japanese cockpit colors varied by date, manufacturer, research and blah blah so I just picked a green that looked neat to me)

I am also doing a What if 1/72 C6N1 Saiun "Myrt" it will have "Grace" bent wings and will be a combat rather than recce aircraft. I was planning on a four bladed prop to add to the whiffness but some Myrts had these too!! So I am looking for an additional 1/72 prop so I can do counter rotation!

Finally A close up of the drybrushed engines... Might be a bit over done but I like it

:cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Taiidantomcat

Since I cut the engine mounts back too far I had to come up with a way to make the smaller radials fit... So I took a page out of Eddie M's bag of tricks-- If you can't fill it, scoop it!! So i thinned the kit down up front for some realistic looking scoops

I have been working on the cockpit and new exhausts but this entire engine mounting thing is taking up a lot of time