S

WTD: Frog Miles Master Engine/Cowling

Started by sideshowbob9, February 06, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideshowbob9

I bought a Frog Miles Master recently for the R-1535 engine, to go with the Eastern Express(?) one I already have (need the pair for a project). Unfortunately, the molding must be slightly different as the Frog one has the cowl flaps open, making them different lengths. I've tried getting another Frog one on ebay, only to be sniped repeatedly (grumble grumble).

Thought I'd ask here if anyone has a spare engine/cowling available? Or a whole Master for that matter. Ta.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I think I have more than one in The Loft, I'll take a look tomorrow afternoon. And it won't cost an arm and a leg either!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

kitnut617, not sure I could afford the postage but thanks for the link. Wasn't previously aware of that particular boxing. That site could be a useful reference!

PR19_Kit, I've found another one on eBay but this could go on in perpetuity! If you have a shortcut, I'm all for it!

PR19_Kit

Bob,

I have two Masters, one a real Frog kit (complete with stand and in glorious YELLOW plastic!) and one a Novo re-pop, no stand and in neutral grey. Which one would you like, just for the postage, I suspect around £2.00 or so.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

^ Very decent of you! Could I have the Novo re-pop please, as I suspect that's the one I have. May I presume paypal is ok?

PR19_Kit

No probs, on the way tomorrow. I'll PM you then .

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

You could always use a Mercury from a Blenheim for the Master II...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

sideshowbob9

I need identical R-1535s for a US twin-engine project. The leftover Masters are going to be getting a Hercules and a Mamba (more or less).

The Wooksta!

I doubt that the Master would be able to take the power of the Hercules.  The Blenheim couldn't and that was a very tough airframe.  The same goes for the Mamba - the Balliol was designed with the engine in mind before it was reengined with a Mercury(!) and then the Merlin.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

sideshowbob9

You are probably right about the Hercules but I'm not that worried about the Mamba as that one will be at least 50% new airframe.

I'm going to try and graft the rear fuselage of an F4U to the front end of a Master to approximate the Miles M.70 trainer proposal. It will give the raised rear bubble canopy look to a tee, at least in profile. Whether it works in 3 dimensions is another story entirely!

The earlier M.29 was a proposal for a Master replacement, to act for the Typhoon and co. in much the same way the Master had for the Spitfire & Hurricane. It was proposed with either a Hercules or R-2600. Later, it was lumped in with a requirement for a Martinet replacement but it was realised that no single engined aircraft could meet the requirement, so the Monitor was developed instead.

I had hoped to do a M.29 with the other Master but thinking about it, it was probably a completely new (but similar looking) airframe. Ah well, maybe I'll do a "Queen Master" radio controlled flying bomb?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on February 12, 2011, 04:01:57 PM
Ah well, maybe I'll do a "Queen Master" radio controlled flying bomb?

Wouldn't that be a 'Queen Mistress'?  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 13, 2011, 05:43:34 AM
Quote from: sideshowbob9 on February 12, 2011, 04:01:57 PM
Ah well, maybe I'll do a "Queen Master" radio controlled flying bomb?
Wouldn't that be a 'Queen Mistress'?  ;D ;)

Technically, yes.  ;D

sideshowbob9

Got the Master off of PR19_Kit. Thank you again!

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit