1/72 scale revel space transport system orbiter

Started by lenny100, February 04, 2011, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

looking around hobbyzone today and i noticed a 1/72 scale shuttle in the sale bin because of some damage to the box, so her who must be listened to said by it as its cheep £20 so i did.
not got a idea to do it as moonraker 6 which was delivered to the RAF and not borrowed on permanent loan in the James bond film, and fitted out as a cheep X-71 conversion as the UK space defence system.
now any idea for a UK sounding name?
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

pyro-manic

Welkin? It means "vault of heaven", so appropriate for a spacecraft.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

It would presumably have an individual name like the NASA Space Shuttles. Ironically, three of the US shuttles (Challenger, Discovery and Endeavour) are already named after British exploration ships, thus pre-empting their use on a British Shuttle.

Some suggestions:

Albion (nationalistic and mythical)
Excalibur (ditto)
Britannia (ditto)
Astra (from the RAF motto)
Scott (explorer)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Who said the British couldn't use British names?

The RN though, might like to get in on this, in that case.

How about "Beagle"?  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 04, 2011, 10:06:43 PM
Who said the British couldn't use British names?

The RN though, might like to get in on this, in that case.

How about "Beagle"?  ;)

Well you don't want two vessels of the same name in orbit together: just as potentially confusing as for surface warships, hence we probably won't be having another HMS Churchill until the USN disposes of DDG-81: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Winston_S._Churchill_(DDG-81).

It doesn't neccessarily follow though: we have an HMS Enterprise, although as a 3,500 ton unarmed survey ship, she's unlikely to get mixed up with the USN carrier.....

Back to the plot, "Beagle" sounds good, and was, of course, used for the unsuccessful 2003 Mars lander. We used to have a (post war) survey ship called HMS Beagle too.

Here's another nationalistic one: Bulldog
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Weaver

Quote from: TsrJoe on February 05, 2011, 04:06:04 AM
'Anastasia' hehehe, altho i do like 'Astra'  :cheers:

Well if they could name the first US Shuttle after the Star Trek Enterprise, why not?  :wacko:

You could actually do an "Anastasia'd" Space Shuttle, with a clear-roofed accomodation space in the cargo bay and two separate fighter-style "canopies" instead of the real thing's airliner-style "flight deck".

What else might we have along those lines?

Thunderbird
Liberator
Eagle

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Here you go  ;D :

Based on a profile by Bagera3005 on Deviant Art: http://bagera3005.deviantart.com/art/Space-shuttle-Atlantis-OV-104-129076499

This was deliberately designed to be modellable. Cut the flight deck off the crew compartment, smooth it over, then add twin cockpits. Take a slice out of the cargo bay sides or doors to lower it to the same height. Cut the top third off the engine section (enough to lose the top engine), then re-arrange the OMS pods on top of it, with the engines in the middle and the attitude thrusters outboard of them, and blend them in. As shown, you'd need two shuttle tail fins to complete it, but you could always substitute twin fins from something else.

- Indiana Jones

lenny100

looks good and its in the idea bank for a future build as this ones replacement this will be more like this one
http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/X-71%20SPACE%20SHUTTLE%20PAGE.htm

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 05, 2011, 04:28:38 AM
You could actually do an "Anastasia'd" Space Shuttle, with a clear-roofed accomodation space in the cargo bay and two separate fighter-style "canopies" instead of the real thing's airliner-style "flight deck".

YESSSSssssssssss!!  :thumbsup:

And swing wings too! And a mono-wheel landing gear?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lenny100

i was thinking a set of b1 wings in place of the outer wings. but finding a set in somebodys scrap bin is asking for something but it might be better to start with the russian shuttle as the rear end was very diffrent, does anybody do it in 1/72?

Weaver

Rather than hi-jack Lenny's thread, I suggest we continue any discussion of a Dan Darified space shuttle here:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,19781.new.html#new

- Indiana Jones

royabulgaf

There is only one possible name:  The Arthur C Clarke
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Hobbes

Quote from: lenny100 on February 05, 2011, 03:00:56 PM
it might be better to start with the russian shuttle as the rear end was very diffrent, does anybody do it in 1/72?

Not that I'm aware of. There are 1:144 (Anigrand) and 1:288 (STC) kits.