Beaufighter FB.11

Started by kitbasher, February 04, 2011, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Matchbox/Revell Beau with Griffons.  Either Coastal Command or SEAC - more soon.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

If you're using the Shackleton Griffons, the thrust line will be raised. IIRC,the Merlin Beaufighter had the radiators slung underneath and the props were in the same position as they were on the Hercules version.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

The Merlin Beaufighter had the standard Lancaster 'power egg' installed, it would have had a raised thrustline.  The bigger problem apparently was the extra weight further forward which made them unstable plus the gyroscopic effects of the prop further forward.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sideshowbob9

"Handed" props, enlarged vertical and horizonal tail and maybe finlets ala the Wyvern/Nimrod and Bob's your auntie.  ;)

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 04, 2011, 05:52:12 PM
The Merlin Beaufighter had the standard Lancaster 'power egg' installed, it would have had a raised thrustline.  The bigger problem apparently was the extra weight further forward which made them unstable plus the gyroscopic effects of the prop further forward.

Power egg yes, but the thrustline is the same on both Hercules and Merlin. Check the side views.

Sorely tempted to do a Sabre version.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

I have to admit to thinking the thrust line was slightly higher on the Beau II (by virtue of simply plonking - caution, engineering term! - Merlins onto the aircraft), but having checked several plans and profile I can say the thrust line is the same.  As soon as time permits I'll scan and post a drawing.  Every day's a school day, for sure.
;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Sabre engine version a no go.  Boo!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

There's a photo of a Griffon engined Beaufighter in the 'Beaufighter in Action' book

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 07, 2011, 01:47:17 PM
There's a photo of a Griffon engined Beaufighter in the 'Beaufighter in Action' book

There's also a picture of the sole real Griffon Beau (Mk IIf T3177) in the August 2003 edition of Aeroplane Monthly.
;D ;D

kitbasher

Work has finally begun!  Straight out of the box so far, pics to foll0ow.
;D ;D

kitbasher

OK I really must pull my finger out with this one.  Fortunately it is mainly OOB, whcich is just as well considering I fell at almost the first hurdle - the engine nacelles.
I'd hastily put together some Shackleton Griffons thinking I'd either use the kit's Hercules nacelles as a mount or build a framework from sprue

but the kit nacelles are too small for the first option and a lot of work would be needed for the second.  After some head scratching I hit upon a cunning plan.  You know those little acrylic paint pots you get with Airfix gift sets....

....well if you cut the lids off they fit the Beau's cowling mounts like a dream!  And when you've dismantled the assembled Shackleton Griffon units and cut out the bottom of the pot, the nacelle front also fits like a dream

So after filling and sanding and supergluing to the engine mount, the first looks like this:

And as all that was going on, I've removed the wing leading edge intakes and have worked on the cannon ports.

;D ;D

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Love to watch you work sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great job on the engine mounts !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Very good ---  :thumbsup:

my style of modelling ---  :lol: