BAe Jaguar R2

Started by JayBee, February 03, 2011, 09:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

The BAe Jaguar was a dedicated reconnaissance version of the well known strike aircraft, known by BAE as the Jaguar FR-51(G). It was produced for an export customer who wanted a reconnaissance machine that  would have some strike capability, a sophisticated self defence system, and good short/rough field performance. They knew it as the Jaguar R1. Later versions, and this model represents one of those, were designated Jaguar R2.
Their speciality was long range, deep penetration missions at ultra low level.
The model is the REVEL Jaguar and the first modification was the recce nose, this was lifted from the REVEL Mirage III kit (it is the blue bit in the photo) but to my eye the shape did not look right.

An appeal on this forum for anyone who had the camera nose bits from the Heller Mirage III brought a very swift response from Gondor with the bits arriving in the post two days later. Thanks Alastair you are a champion.
Those Heller bits are good, it is in three parts the top being grey plastic and the bottom and front being clear. So glue them up and paint the inside black. Mask of the camera windows and paint.

A quick coat of Tamiya rattle can grey primer and you can see how the two aircraft have seriously different cross sections at this point.
Ach well PSR, PSR, and MORE PSR.

This is where she is now, first coat of primer overall which will remain as the underside colour.
I think she looks really like an Aardvark, and I do not mean an F-111, I mean the living beastie.

PS if anyone has a spare Jaguar drop tank, 1/72, and preferably but not essentially from the REVEL kit, I would love it for the centre line station.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Jim I have just about every manufacturer of Jaguar kits in 1/72 and have never known that Revell did one, any other manufacturer preferred and is that with British fins or French?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

The last photo shows the REVEL ones. They are slightly larger diameter towards the front.
As to French or British, I have not the faintest idea.

:thumbsup:Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

chrisonord

Looking good Jim, will be watching this one  :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

deathjester

Very nice!  I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out...

Army of One

I have an Airfix Jag.......ur welcome to the tank in that......pm me any address dets n I'll get it of to you......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Green Dragon

Quote from: Gondor on February 03, 2011, 10:17:46 AM
Jim I have just about every manufacturer of Jaguar kits in 1/72 and have never known that Revell did one, any other manufacturer preferred and is that with British fins or French?

Gondor

Hi Gondor the Revell kit was a rebox of Italeri's Jag. Nice work on the recon Jag Jim!

Edited because I posted it before I'd finished!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Gondor

Quote from: Green Dragon on February 03, 2011, 02:00:04 PM
Quote from: Gondor on February 03, 2011, 10:17:46 AM

Gondor

Hi Gondor the Revell kit was a rebox of Italeri's Jag. Nice work on the recon Jag Jim!

Edited because I posted it before I'd finished!

Paul Harrison

I have the Italeri kit boxed under the Tamiya label so I should have a spare tank from that Jim, how soon do you want it ? Partly as I can't post it untill Saturday :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

You're dead right Jim, it DOES look like an aardvark!  ;D

All you need now is some ants to hoover up, at 600 kts, and you're home free!  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Very nice...who could not like a Jaguar !?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

AoO, many thanks but it looks like Gondor has exactly what I need.

G/Alasdair, yes please. There is no desperate rush as I am aiming this one for Perth.
I think I wil be buying the drinks though :thumbsup:

Jim

Cats are not real. 

pyro-manic

I have a Revell Jag GR1 with tanks, and an Italeri T2, which I think has a different, ventral tank. you're welcome to either if you need it.

EDIT: After checking, it's not a ventral tank but a recce pod.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Jim....

The parts are all packed and ready to go to the post office tomorrow. Took ages to pack as I put way too much packing into the box to begin with.

Gondor

John Howling Mouse

Looks interesting....a dynamic bit of update on a fine-looking airframe.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Gondor

Quote from: Gondor on February 04, 2011, 03:05:06 PM
Jim....

The parts are all packed and ready to go to the post office tomorrow. Took ages to pack as I put way too much packing into the box to begin with.

Gondor

Jim,

Posted the aid package this morning, the Red Cross staff were very confused when I handed it in...... might even reach you Monday!

Gondor