Ta 152B-5/R11 formaly known as .... Ta 152C-2 Ardennes January 1946

Started by Gondor, February 02, 2011, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Thought I might manage to enter this build if I kept doing something each evening even if it is removing a couple of items from their sprue.

This build is possible due to another build I have planed which has left several parts with nothing to do.

Background: Late war Germany Aircraft industry is trying to use every possible means at it's disposal to put aircraft into the hands of the Luftwaffe. So as well as producing the Ta152C-1 with its DB603 engine it was decided to produce a version powered by the Jumo 213 as well. The version number followed on from the C-1 partly as I had a terrible idea from producing the model as a C-3 operated by the Soviet Air Defence Force, the PVO, which would have made the aircraft a C-3 PVO. (bad star wars joke), but I decided that would be too corny. Another idea was to call the model a C-4 but as that's an explosive and did not go with a bang for me. The possibility of a C-5 was a non starter as I would suspect it would not have much of a range and providing electric cables to power them would have been a non starter.

Regardless of all the jokes, mediocre or bad aside, I decided that my model would be a Ta152C-2/R11. For those that are not as knowledgeable about what the R11 part stands for, roughly it denotes that the aircraft is an all-weather fighter with extra navigational instruments, a heated windscreen and a crude autopilot. Considering all the equipment the aircraft is fitted with the pilot could only be Major Hanns Freeier. Pictures to follow at the weekend.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

The Ta 152B was powered by the Jumo 213 but had the wing of the Ta 152C.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Thanks to Lee for reminding me that research is important, even if the model is a whiff.

The Model will be made from the Dragon Ta152C-0 with the engine replaced from an Academy Fw190D-9 as well as the correct armament fitted... i.e. Mk108's in the wing roots.

Other than a change to the armament and the aircraft designation everything will be the same !!! Horray not much more work than expected at the start of the build  :party: :cheers: :drink: :thumbsup:

The Ta152B-5/R11 was to have been a Heavy all-weather fighter/bomber version of the Ta152 family with three 30mm MK108 cannon as armament.

I am still going to have Major Hanns Freeier as the Pilot  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

If you've a Dragon Ta 152 H, just swap the engines over.  I'm sure there was a proposl for a Ha variant to have a DB603.

IIRC, the Ta 152 H was the high altitude fighter, the C was low to medium and the B was a Zerstorer and close support aircraft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 03, 2011, 02:58:23 PM
If you've a Dragon Ta 152 H, just swap the engines over.  I'm sure there was a proposl for a Ha variant to have a DB603.

IIRC, the Ta 152 H was the high altitude fighter, the C was low to medium and the B was a Zerstorer and close support aircraft.

Lee you are a fountain of insperation, I only have one Ta152H and do not want to use that for this build, but...... I could use the engine parts as a guide for adapting the Acadamy engine which was left over for another conversion as was the 152C fuselage.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I may have a spare engine.  I'd have to have a look.  Dragon kits - especially that Ta 152 - are notoriously ill fitting.  You'd be better off with the actual kit parts as they stand a better chance of fitting than the Academy bits.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

I will take you up on the parts from the Ta152H kit if its everything for the power egg including the engine and 30mm cannon and its frame please. There would not be a great rush if you do find the parts as I can use the parts from the kit I have to do this build then use the parts from you to build the Ta152H.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Found the cowlings, plus supercharger intake and front bit.  No exhausts but I do know that they're spare on the sprues in the 152C kit.  I don't have the engine itself but from what I've beem told by various friends who've built it, it's easier to build without it.

If you want to do a really good Ta 152 in 72nd, buy the Aoshima kit.  It's fantastic. Not as well detailed but bang on accurate and simply falls together.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 05, 2011, 08:21:08 AM
If you want to do a really good Ta 152 in 72nd, buy the Aoshima kit.  It's fantastic. Not as well detailed but bang on accurate and simply falls together.

NOW you tell me !!! :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I've been banging on about it ever since I first got one back in 96!

Now I'm wondering it you could cross kit it with the Dragon Ta 152C wing...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 05, 2011, 12:13:02 PM
I've been banging on about it ever since I first got one back in 96!

Now I'm wondering it you could cross kit it with the Dragon Ta 152C wing...

Is the Aoshima fuselage better than the Dragon one and the wings better on the Dragon kit then Lee?

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I was just thinking of a quick route Ta 152B. 

The Aoshima kit does have a few minor flaws but nothing that simple modelling skill can overcome.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

No problem Lee, I am going to build with what I have which is both Dragon kits though I would be interested in which is the better H, the Dragon or Aoshima kits for when I build that version. So if the Aoshima kit is better than the Dragon kit I will not need the nose for the Dragon H. I also didn't know you had been banging on about the Aoshima kit since 96 as I only joined this site in March 09, but no worries.

Other people can post to this thread as well !!!!

Gondor

Gondor

as promised a picture of progress so far........

The wings are held together by friction at the moment untill I get the wheel wells painted and weather a bit. The engine is a real pig to build and could end up being the hardest part of the build but I recon it will be worth it in the end.

Gondor

Gondor

I keep changing my mind about the back story for this aircraft. At the moment I am still thinking that the pilot will be Major Hanns Freeier but the aircraft will be now be one of the Ta 152B-5/R11 development aircraft with a new type of auto pilot installed.

If I get some more work completed on this project I will post more pictures. I simply have more drive to get my Meteor F2 finished at the moment.

Gondor