b-52 colours

Started by albeback, February 02, 2011, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

Hi

I have attached a copy of the Cutting Edge B-52  sheet. The aircraft in question is B-52G 57-6492 "Old Crow Express". As you will see, the sides are overpainted in what appears to be a dark reddish brown colour. There is no information in the instruction sheet. On the assumption that it is not a print error, I presume this was a temporary scheme applied for Operation Desert Storm.

I have found plenty information about this individual B-52 on the internet ( photos included) However, I have found nothing regarding the colour scheme. I'm quite happy to take the picture at face value - its an unusual & quite attractive scheme . Can anyone provide more information about this scheme or, at least point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

kitnut617

I think you'll find it's actually SAC Tan
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Why would the USAF worry about what colour the sides of the aircraft were in that campaign? The things flew over at 35000 ft for goodness sake, you couldn't even SEE them properly, let alone see the colour of the sides!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

albeback

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2011, 01:31:29 PM
Why would the USAF worry about what colour the sides of the aircraft were in that campaign? The things flew over at 35000 ft for goodness sake, you couldn't even SEE them properly, let alone see the colour of the sides!

Lol!! ;D Couldn't agree more! I couod understand it if they were flying down amongst the weeds!! Still, who am I to argue! However I was just curious to know more about it

philp

Check the color chart listed here.
http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/color/usa.html

The main site is my fav for all aircraft Desert Storm.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

albeback

Quote from: philp on February 02, 2011, 01:53:03 PM
Check the color chart listed here.
http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/color/usa.html

The main site is my fav for all aircraft Desert Storm.
Thanks for the link Phil. That's very helpful. I'll hang on to that! ;D

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: albeback on February 02, 2011, 01:43:48 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2011, 01:31:29 PM

Lol!! ;D Couldn't agree more! I couod understand it if they were flying down amongst the weeds!! Still, who am I to argue! However I was just curious to know more about it

The first three days of Desert Storm B-52's flew low level. SAC also planned to do Low Level attacks into the soviet Union.  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.