Long range Anti-Submarine Coastal Command patrol aircraft

Started by Bungle, February 02, 2011, 05:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

Oh yes juices following.

My thoughts are something to replace the Short Sunderland and the B-24 Liberator in 1946/47. The U-Boat threat still in its ascendancy and the Channel still a no go zone for Allied shipping. The invasion of France has been put off to 1947 following the initial success of the American led progress through Italy and the Balkans.

So what am I looking at ? an early Shackleton possibly but no to easy. A Neptune - no must have four engines me thinks. Something big with a Nimrod style bombay and a cannon turret up front, wingtip fuel tanks, maybe an upper turret, long extended tail for MAD all in 1/72..... oh yes I think I've found it.  Haven't go a name for it yet but I think my little contribution will be an ASW version of one of these....

Now what shall I call it.... ?
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Maverick

I did this simple artwork conversion back in '08.

Regards,

Mav

Bungle

Thanks Maverick - sorry hadn't seen that before so my apologies if I'm plegerising your ideas. I think my one's going to be in RAF Coastal Command colours (maybe with invasion stripes - nice bit of Zebra would look good),

Well opened the box and it's a big b*gger ! Looks like this one won't end up on the shelf - far too big ! Probably make, bake and bin.

Anyway here's my thoughts on the proposed Short Seascale, Short Stornoway, Short Swanage - still looking for names. Anyway blacked out windows will be filled in, two top turrets a la B-29, a front turret depending if I can find something suitable. I'm going to open up the Bomb bay nice and big. Going to add a MAD tail probably made out of balsa wood.

I guess this kit also makes up the C-97 hence the rear cargo bay - should I leave this open ? Would be of any use on a patrol aircraft (maybe rolling out depth charges ??). If anyone has the instructions to C-97 any chance of a scan ? there are seveal unused pieces in this kit which I guess go on the military version - would be nice to know where to go.

Right then where's the saw ?.....
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

Oops.... photo missed off the rear end.  As you can see large cargo hole,

Daryl J.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah...this is going to be good for sure ! Never noticed it before you posted that pic, but this thing is just dying for a big bomb bay ! Brilliant idea.

:wub: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Bungle

Work has started and the sawing has begun. Decided not to cut the Bomb bay doors off fully but instead scored along the top edge on the inside and eased the doors into an open position.

Added thin strips of Florist wire to begin the internal ribbing on the inner doors. Also blanked the windows I'm going to fill later.

Managed to get a set of plans from the Academy website for the KC-97 tanker and those are not cargo doors but the refuelling bay section. In the B-377 this just a blank piece of fuselage. So cargo doors idea scratched.

scooter

Quote from: Bungle on February 06, 2011, 04:34:44 AM
Managed to get a set of plans from the Academy website for the KC-97 tanker and those are not cargo doors but the refuelling bay section. In the B-377 this just a blank piece of fuselage. So cargo doors idea scratched.

Unless you want to torture yourself and scratchbuild the cargo doors
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

Is it going to be in-flight or on the ground ? The cargo doors would be a moot point if she were flying, I guess....on the other hand, if it were some sort of auxilliary weapons bay...flares or depth charges maybe ?

Anyway, thatnks for the update and keep 'em coming !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 06, 2011, 08:15:41 AM
Is it going to be in-flight or on the ground ? The cargo doors would be a moot point if she were flying, I guess....on the other hand, if it were some sort of auxilliary weapons bay...flares or depth charges maybe ?

Sonobouy dispenser.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Spey_Phantom

i like what you are doing to the C-97, cant wait to see it finished  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

That's no cargo door opening, its where the clear part goes for the Boom Operator of the KC-97L goes.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Tuck

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 06, 2011, 08:15:41 AM

Ooooh!  A flying plane with roll-out cylindrical depth charges like on a ship Destroyer....now that would be different!  :blink: :thumbsup: :lol:
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf