RAF Gloster Ghoul Mk. II

Started by Tuck, February 01, 2011, 02:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuck

Shortly after the USAAC abandoned development of the XP-56 Black bullet, the RAF secretly purchased the remaining prototype, all plans and jigs.  The Achilles  heel of the Black Bullet was always the complex contra rotating props with underpowered radial engine.  The RAF had a vision of replacing the gruff power plant with a sleek new prototype afterburning turbojet.  What resulted was astonishing.  The speed and agility of the modified 'Ghoul' was so good that production immediately commenced in August 1946.....
"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

pyro-manic

Interesting! I'm willing to bet this comes out looking a bit like the DH108 Swallow....
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

You do great work, really looking forward to this  :thumbsup: (This GB wouldn't be the same without you :thumbsup:)
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Doc Yo

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 01, 2011, 04:27:45 PM
Interesting! I'm willing to bet this comes out looking a bit like the DH108 Swallow....

...but a bit more "Rubenesque" ;D looking forward to this one...

Tuck

"I do this hobby for fun not to be nitpicked, and that's one reason i love this place (What-If) so much, its not necessarily the quality, its the 'spirit' of the build or idea that's important..."-Beowulf

Tuck

Painted and ready for decals.  Going to make this one an experimental....pics later tonight!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Tuck

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Stargazer

Good ghouly!!!  ;D

Looks brilliant, but IMHO the Hunter canopy spoils it a bit, because the aircraft is too early for it. Being immediate post-war I would have expected something more in tune with that era...  :-\

Perfect realisation, otherwise!  ;) :thumbsup:

beowulf

lol...i think that works a treat!  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Tuck

All Done.  Did her up in Prototype livery....    ;D :wub:

rickshaw

Very nice!  Looks the part.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cobra

Awesome Job,Tuck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is too Cool! Hope to see More of your Great Work :cheers: :cheers: Dan