RAF B-1 Lancer GR3-B

Started by spike7451, January 29, 2011, 04:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spike7451

Background;

In the early 1980's after the Falklands War,the RAF became concerned that with the retirement of the Vulcan bombers,it would not be adequately equipped to defend the islands in future due to the vast distance involved.The Ministry of Defense acquired 5 surplus B1-B bombers from the USAF in return to their inclusion in the Eurofighter program,the USAF was looking to replace the F-4 Phantom fleet as a swing role aircraft to supplement the existing F-16 fleet.In the meantime the USAF received 12 Tornado GR1's as well as full training & spares.The work to convert these to USAF standard was jointly carried out by BAe & McDonnell Douglas. 

Originally two unmodified B1's were supplied to the RAF to enable crew training,these were designated GR1 before various modifications were carried out to the airframe,the rear bomb bay was reconfigured to be a additional fuel tank & two large blisters were added to accommodate a reconnaissance package as well as an in flight refueling capability.These could be swapped out as required. Later on,a twin missile rail was mounted under each engine pod to accommodate either ALARM or Sidewinder missiles.

In the cockpit,the ACES II ejection seat system was replaced with Martin Baker MK10 seats & an additional station was created in the rear cockpit to accommodate the Reconnaissance systems operator who also doubled as the refueling operator.

The first Lancer GR3-A went into squadron service with 56 Squadron in early 1984 with the further 4 airframes following soon after.All aircraft became fully operational by June 1984 & an additional upgrade in 1999 saw the aircraft re-designated the GR3-B.

Army of One

Oh cool......small sofa or the 1/48 a/c...?......like the colour scheme....what load out will it have....?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Keith Diamond

Thats a BIG beast!  Looking forward to seeing more.
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

spike7451

It's 1/72 scale & will be armed with a bomb bay full of Harpoon missiles.Decals are from the spares box & an IFR probe will be robbed from a Tornado kit.Glad you like it chaps.

GTX

Nice model/idea.  It certainly looks big - I have eyed off a 1/48 B-1B a few times and now have more reason to pause ;).

A few comments re your story - please take as constructive suggestions and not as a criticism of your work:

Quotein return to their inclusion in the Eurofighter pro gramme

Remember the Eurofighter programme (I assume it is the same in this whiffverse - if not, tell me to bugger off ;D) was a multinational programme, so it wouldn't be up to just the UK to let the USA join.

QuoteLancer GR3-A

Why the GR3?  Wouldn't it be the GR.1 or maybe even the B.1?  Unless of course there were somehow a GR.1 and GR.2 already?  Again though, it is your model, so feel free to tell me to "Feck off!" ;)

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

spike7451

Quote from: GTX on January 29, 2011, 12:24:13 PM
Nice model/idea.  It certainly looks big - I have eyed off a 1/48 B-1B a few times and now have more reason to pause ;).

A few comments re your story - please take as constructive suggestions and not as a criticism of your work:

Quotein return to their inclusion in the Eurofighter pro gramme

Remember the Eurofighter programme (I assume it is the same in this whiffverse - if not, tell me to bugger off ;D) was a multinational programme, so it wouldn't be up to just the UK to let the USA join.

QuoteLancer GR3-A

Why the GR3?  Wouldn't it be the GR.1 or maybe even the B.1?  Unless of course there were somehow a GR.1 and GR.2 already?  Again though, it is your model, so feel free to tell me to "Feck off!" ;)

Regards,

Greg

OK..Bugger off! :lol:

Nope,I never thought of the european angle to letting the USA join the programme but I was thinking along the same lines as when they bought (sic) the Harrier
As to the designation,the GR3,I did toy with the various GR prefix's but decided on the GR3.
It's a bloody big kit! It's longer than the 1/32 Tornado & on par with the 1/32 Hornet in length! I certainly wouldn't have room for the 1/48th!!

GTX

Ok, buggering off ;D.

Re the length, a 1/48 one would be almost 1m long!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

spike7451

Greg,

It's that long & heavy I picked it up by the nose & the weight of the tail made the seam along the middle crack where I'd glued it! :angry:

anthonyp

Yeah, bugging in like Greg  ;D

Maybe say for the US entry to the Eurofighter program that they wanted a definitive multi-role replacement for the heavier F-4, instead of the F-16 (which was still a new airplane).  The F-15 was still an air-to-air expert, while the F-16 was a multi-role beast that could carry a lighter load the the F-4, but the whole warload of a Falcon was still much less than an F-4E could do.  The Eurofighter would make a nice addition.

As for the Bones in RAF usage, maybe they'd gone through a refit or two, and your model shows the third operational incarnation of the beast?  Maybe take one and develop a one-off Lancer F.2 armed to the gills with Sky Flash or Phoenixes in the bomb bays?  Reason I say this is I've got a B-1 development for the USN that's to be a long range land based interceptor that could lend itself to the RAF.

Again, feel free to tell me to bugger off since it IS your build  ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Army of One

Quote from: spike7451 on January 29, 2011, 10:58:59 AM
It's 1/72 scale & will be armed with a bomb bay full of Harpoon missiles.Decals are from the spares box & an IFR probe will be robbed from a Tornado kit.Glad you like it chaps.

No flippin way...!!!! I woulda put money on that being 1/48...!!!! Blimey....The one I just got (Revell 1/72) is big.....fuselage is diagonal in the none to small box..!!!.......where am I gonna display it when done..?? Sure I seen another RAF Lancer on here....it was called an Excalibur I think.....anyhoo....great work n keep it up...!!!
Serious question now......I was thinking of getting round the boom refueling problem....I have an ongoing project and my AF is not equipped with USAF style boom refuellers....but it does have F16's......are you gonna cover over the refuel port on your B1 and just use a probe....or will it have dual capability..?......I am not sure what to do with my Falcons.....H 
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

spike7451

Interesting....It'll have the dual fuel facility as one of the problems we have on joint operations is Air to Air Refueling in real life.Not a problem working with the US Navy but it can be with the USAF.

Army of One

Many thanks.....I'm just wondering how to attach a refueling probe to an F16 without interferring with stuff.....over the shoulder or underwing protruding....How you fitting yours.....? Could be a consideration for my sole Maltese aquired B1.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

spike7451

I'm fitting it by the right hand side of the cockpit,just next to the front windscreen.

spike7451

Well,the other day I sliced out the moulded bomb bay & scratchbuilt the new one plus the removable weapons tray,given it a base coat of Tamiya gloss white & ready for some fine details & adding the weapons which are going to be a mix of Harpoon missiles & LGB's.

Either side of the bomb bay I've added a couple of weapon pylons from the 1/48 Tornado.In front of the pylon will be the FLIR & Targeting pod's & pylons robbed from a ole F-15E jet.

The blisters over the rear bomb bay are the fuel tank blisters & between them will be a refueling pod from a 1/72 Tornado.

The engine nacells I've robbed from the Revell 1/48 Phantom.

I've decided on the weapon load..

2x Stormshadow in the bomb bay.

4x ALARM mounted under the engine pods (2 on each pod) plus 2x AIM 9L

2x Sea Eagle & 2x Harpoon on external rails either side of the bomb bay.

Also in the bomb bay will be 2 dinghy packs taken from the Nimrod kit.