Re: Which kit is better? Now A.W. Meteor...

Started by rickshaw, January 28, 2011, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I'm thinking about doing a two seat F-5.  Which of these kits is better?

Italeri F-5F
Revell F-5B
Matchbox CF-5B
Italeri CF-5B
PM F-5B
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

It's not my aircraft but the PM kit will be basic and crude, the Matchbox old, basic but buildable and ideal for whiffing.  Your choice is Italeri or Revell if you want a decent one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

I've got two Revellobox ones, one of which I've built, and they're pretty poor IMHO. In particular, there's a huge moulded flaw in the thickness of the canopy which can't be polished out. Cockpits are rudimentary, fit is indifferent.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Top pic is showing an excellent book to get on the CF-5, the last chapter is on all the models you can buy of it and have a review of which ones are the better ones.

Next two pics is some of the comments made about the 1/72 scale kits. is it's any other scale you are, I can take a pic of that too
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChernayaAkula

If the Revell kit is this one....

... then it contains the Esci kit (as does the Italeri boxing). These are the bee's knees.

The F-5F by Italeri is, if you can get it, also the best representation of the type. Don't even know whether someone else did an F-5F in 1/72. It's a much sought-after kit and, at times, goes for crazy sums on eBay.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on January 28, 2011, 06:25:27 AM
I've got two Revellobox ones, one of which I've built, and they're pretty poor IMHO. In particular, there's a huge moulded flaw in the thickness of the canopy which can't be polished out. Cockpits are rudimentary, fit is indifferent.

Just to be crystal clear, the one I'm talking about is the Revell re-issue of the Matchbox one:

Review here: http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/viet/previews/Matchbox/pk39.htm

It might be that not all of them have the canopy flaw, but I wouldn't buy another without checking for it first.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Hasegawa's T-38 is apparently a re-decalled F-5B, not got a good reputation though, supposed to be slightly better than the PM kit.

If a Talon will do, Sword have recentley released kits of the T-38C in both 1/72 & 1/48.  It's expensive, but supposed to be very good.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

The Talon though isn't an F-5B, there's a number of subtle differences between the two from what I've read.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PYF42

Bonsoir
Matchbox is the best !!!!
For all models !  ;D ;D ;D
A nostalgic Matchbox'fan .
Regards
Fred

philp

Which 2 seater do you want to do?  The B is the early version based on the A and the F is the later version based on the E (Tiger II).  The ESCI B (Revell rerelease) is the best early version and the Testors/Italeri F is the best (and may be only) late version.

I have the F kit in my stash that I have been looking to swap for another E kit.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 28, 2011, 09:04:23 AM
The Talon though isn't an F-5B, there's a number of subtle differences between the two from what I've read.

I know, I was just suggesting it as an alternative if Rick wasn't too worried or happy to do a bit of knife work.  Hase's kit is actually an F-5B though.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on January 28, 2011, 07:37:18 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 28, 2011, 06:25:27 AM

Just to be crystal clear, the one I'm talking about is the Revell re-issue of the Matchbox one:

Review here: http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/viet/previews/Matchbox/pk39.htm

It might be that not all of them have the canopy flaw, but I wouldn't buy another without checking for it first.

Oh, bugger.  Thats the one I've just bought two of, off Evilbay!  Oh, damn, caveat emptor.   I've read a couple of reviews of it and they seem to be OK.  One had an excellent set of pictures and there was no flaw in the canopy.  Perhaps you just got a bad one (fingers crossed)?

rickshaw

Quote from: philp on January 28, 2011, 10:06:36 AM
Which 2 seater do you want to do?  The B is the early version based on the A and the F is the later version based on the E (Tiger II).  The ESCI B (Revell rerelease) is the best early version and the Testors/Italeri F is the best (and may be only) late version.

I have the F kit in my stash that I have been looking to swap for another E kit.

Mmm, I don't _presently_ have an E but might have one in the future.  :mellow:

anthonyp

If the Italeri one is too rare, look for the Testors reboxing of it.  I see them all the time on shelves up here, as well as evil-Bay.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

rickshaw

I assume the major visible difference between a F-5B and a F-5F was the nose shape?