RW BA-64B armored car (1/35 scale)

Started by frank2056, January 25, 2011, 03:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

This is the MiniArt 1/35 BA-64B armored car that I got for Christmas, and my first build of 2011. The car kit was designed  by Vision (and molded by Bronco, or so I've read) and the MiniArt addition is to include 5 very nicely molded figures.
This has been one of my most enjoyable model builds in a while. Everything (except the wheels) fits beautifully. I added a few scratchbuilt parts (engine, firewall, map case, door handles, fuel tank, brake & accelerator pedals) but they really aren't needed. The only whif bit is the name - 1-11 for the month & year finished and "for Lisa" (my wife) on the hood, in Russian (I hope).

I had too much fun putting this together to take pictures while it was under construction. It's mostly finished, just waiting for some weathering details/fixes and a sealing matte coat.

Weaver

Quote from: apophenia on January 25, 2011, 06:19:46 PM
Very nice -- subject and build  :thumbsup:

Seconded!  :thumbsup:

I've always rather liked the BA-64, BTR-40 and BTR-152 in a purely aesthetic sense. They've got the same "poise" as their German WWII equivalents, but are somehow more rakish....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Nicely done.  Looks like it was a fun kit to build.  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

frank2056

Thanks for the comments, guys.
I like these Russian armored car because they do bear a similarity to German vehicles, just as the BA-6 & BA-10 are similar to the early US prototype armored cars, and the later (like the BTR-152 and the BTR-40) have a passing resemblance to the White M3 armored car. Trumpeter (or one of those Chinese companies) is coming out with a BTR-40 this year. The Skif BTR-152 is OK.

Here's the one figure that I'm going to add. It's mostly painted, but still needs some detailing:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Why's he playin' pocket billards?   :lol:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Wish my LAV-150's came with that level of internal detail.     :(

No, I'm not going to scratch build an interior. I don't have that level of dedication.
Besides, this hobby is how I relax; I don't want to introduce any more stress than is absolutely necessary.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est