Input needed

Started by matrixone, May 22, 2004, 03:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Some photos that have been aged a little bit. I would like some feedback on how I can improve future pics. What can I do to make my pictures more antique looking, do they need lightened, darkened, blurred, or more contrast?

matrixone

Two more pics...

TIA,

Matrixone

gooberliberation

umm more contrast and grain
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

matrixone

Thanks gooberliberation!

Next set of photos I will try that.

Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks Wooksta!

These set of photos were taken outside on an overcast day, I will take some photos in daylight next time I take new pics.
This weekend is rainy and not so good for taking pictures, maybe next weekend I will be able to try again.

Matrixone

Mairfrog

The best way to add grain is to enlarge them first, add 'noise', do a bit of a blur then shrink back to the original size. Electronic noise looks crap at 1:1. Also, crop out the areas of foreground where the focus is out. I reckon there should be more contrast too.

That colour pic of the twin engined jobby is fantastic. Take another like that on bright day and it would be convincing enough as is.  :cheers:  

Mairfrog

The only trouble with that diorama base is the 'sky' is too dark. On old pics the sky would often wash out due to the long exposure times used (I imagine).

This is what I mean

matrixone

Thanks Mairfrog and Wooksta!

Thanks for the input and the ideas for improving my photos, I am new at this sort of thing and need all the advice I can get!

Matrixone

Glenn

Matrixone'
       Try using filters. With B&W photos, Red, Yellow and Green filters were used to bring up details. Some early RAF photos where the Yellow outline around the Roundal, looks like it's a dark colour. Just experiment. To darken a background, I sometimes leave the Polarising filter on, otherwise, (on a hot clear day) the sun will washout the sky and give you a false reading through the light meter.
I surpose it doesn't work that way, with a Digital camera, but you should be able to mount filters.
            Glenn

John Howling Mouse

Don't forget some light and dark scratches, hairs, whatever.

Couple of well-placed spots and dots, too.

Mairfrog's example is perfect.

But, while we offer all these purely amateur-based suggestions on how to make your photos appear aged and authentic, I'd also like to see some good clean shots of your models in full color/clarity.

Just as I'm starting to realize just how freakin' GOOD your models are, we keep clouding them over more in order to make the photos appear more aged and authentic!!!

:wub:  -_-  :wub:  -_-  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

matrixone

Thank you Glenn and John!

The camera used is the Fujifilm FinePix 2800Zoom digital, using filters might not work here. I don't know anything about photography, so I am probably wrong on this matter.
Some of my older models really could benefit from the ageing of the photos :D .
The more grainy and blurred the better!
I do have some new kits by Tamiya and Hasegawa that should be worthy of close up pictures in color when they get built.

Matrixone

Supertom

Brillo Matrixone.  One suggestion, perhaps?  If you could lower your lens to a scale 5-6 foot level, then the you'd get a more of a "scale-eye view" of the aircraft for that "you are there" feel.  Also, more grain and scratches would do the trick.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

matrixone

Thanks Supertom!

The color photo was not intended to be a realistic photo of the plane, the purpose was to show the colors and how they looked after the photo was aged.

You are right about the small scratchs in the photos, that is something I will attempt in future pictures, in a week or so I will post some new pics and try to include the nicks and scratchs.

Matrixone  

Tophe

Dear Matrixone, as you joined us quite recently, have you explored the past on this workbench forum ? Mostly, Glenn started many topics with very realistic, in flight, photographs, and that may be a great source of inspiration, I guess.
:)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

matrixone

Thank you Tophe,

Right now I don't have the knowledge or the tools to produce very detailed in-flight photos or other special effects. I need to learn the basics before I can try the more advanced special effects.
Thanks to everybody who took the time to offer advice I have learned some of what I needed to know already.
When the photobase is finished and I start making airplanes again, I want the photos that I post to be interesting to look at, I know that I really like looking at photographs of models placed in realistic settings more than models photographed in a ''studio'' setting.
Being able to make the photos look aged is part of what I had in mind when I first thought about making my photography base.

Matrixone