F-86T Sabre-Hawk

Started by John Howling Mouse, May 22, 2004, 01:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

While I'm waiting for the paint to dry on my first Scale-O-Rama entry, I've been working on Monogram's fantastic little F-86D Sabre-Dog (Dog-Sabre?).

Here are some in-progress photos of the cockpit and pilot that I hope you'll enjoy.

^_^  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Another office shot with the flash this time...

John Howling Mouse

Cockpit shot from behind so you can see the instrument panel.
The engineering and fit of the components so far has been outstanding.

Frankly, I can't imagine how they did it!

John Howling Mouse

Here's a photo of the wheels/tires in progress.  The kit's molding quality does all the work for you.  This heavily weathered bird is going to depict the likes of one of those battered but still flying aircraft you sometimes see in places like Bulgaria or Yugoslavia.  The camo paint will literally be flaking off from most of the panel lines.

And, yes, the T-Tail is already in the works!

John Howling Mouse

The wheel wells are incredibly well detailed on this kit.  I've done a lot of work to grunge them up while making them hopefully still seem like they're part of an airworthy airplane.

Too bad you really won't see 1/10th of the wheel well effort once she's sitting in the case...

Supertom

Hey Barry, here's a challenge - T-tail the F-104!!!  :lol:  
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

nev

Nice work on the cockpit & pilot Baz.

I remember the reviews of the kit when it came out and they were gushing, to say the least.  Have you got the Monogram or Revell boxing?  I think the Revell one has better decal options IIRC
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

Whoa Barry!

Nice work in there!

I'm amazed at how good your interior looks!

:wub:  :wub:  

Leigh

Am I correct in assuming this is the same kit as the pro modeller one I'm working on right now?
If so she is beautiful, and thanks for the pics I'll use them for reference on the next one I build cos you did a much better job than me. I loved this so much I wanna build another, cos when I was looking at it after primer ready for the BMF I swear it was screaming at me " Camo RAF markings, Camo RAF Markings"

Also anyone made the pro modeler F84?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

John Howling Mouse

Thanks guys.   -_-

Yes, the Monogram, Revell and Pro-Modeler boxings all appear to be the same mold but with differing peripherals (PE, decals, etc.).  I ended up buying one of each boxing.

I do plan on building a "real" version straight out of the box, someday.  Really, I do.  But for this one, the tailplane connection areas on the fuselage have been filled from inside with superglue and the exterior sanded down to remove any trace of where a normal, well-adjusted person would place the tailplanes.  And the engraved rudder (and that beautiful little trim tab c/w delicate actuator arm) have all been filled in and sanded down to accept a new, extended rudder.  I need the longer chord at the tip to accomodate the enlarged tailplanes in the "Tee" configuration.

Wings and wheel wells are all built up (what an impressive fit, too!) and I should have the wings and tailplanes all mated up with the fuselage tonight.  It's coming along so fast.

This is one very fine kit.  Has all the intricately engineered contact points b/w features but, unlike some mfg's, these ones actually do fit together!

WeeJimmy

Simply...  awesome detail!

John Howling Mouse

As hoped, got the fuselage and wings all assembled and the new rudder and elevators cut, shaped, scribed and installed!

John Howling Mouse

The fuselage went together without a hitch, even though they were some
very creative joints involved.  It's nice to see the cockpit in place...

John Howling Mouse

Not the best pic as the little flakes of silver I've used to simulate wear within the wheelwells reflected the flash a little too much but I love to see other people's in-progress shots and am hoping you guys get a kick out of mine as well.

John Howling Mouse