Modern Imperial Ethiopian Army markings & camo, anyone?

Started by Old Wombat, January 18, 2011, 06:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

OK, the Africa GB thread has inspired me to try to build a couple of "more modern" vehicles in Imperial Ethiopian Army colours & markings.

Problem, I have no idea what markings or camo schemes the Imperial Ethiopian Army used & my Google-fu is weak, Masters!

The theory is that;
- in 1974 the Brit's & US supplied sufficient equipment, money & merc's to counter the Cuban, East German & North Korean input;
- Haile Selassie was not killed & his forces defeated the rebels;
- this resulted in Ethiopia not facing a further 17 years of civil war;
- Eritrea remains a problem until the early-80's when Arab Islamic clerics accidentally pronounces jihad bil saif (holy war) against all Christians in Eritrea;
- by 1985 Eritrea is split; the provinces of Bakara, Sahil, Senhit, Hamasen & Seraye becoming the "Protectorate of Eritrea" under Ethiopian rule, while the provinces of Samhar, Akale Guzay & Denakil are absorbed into Somalia as "North Somalia";
- British, Commonwealth & US forces are regularly stationed in Ethiopia but, officially, in training & supporting roles, whilst protecting the construction of an artificial harbour & port facilities in the Eritrean province of Sahil;
- 1990's see ongoing border skirmishes with North Somalia & Somalia, plus actions (with limited Kenyan support) in Sudan in support of non-Muslim rebels in Sudan's southern provinces.

So, what I want to do is a couple of 90mm gunned LAV-150's in action either in the Somali border conflicts or in Sudan.

Any ideas, people?

Anyone who can print decals if I need them? :unsure:

Thanks, in advance! :bow:

(ps: I pulled this from the Africa GB thread in the Group Builds forum.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Maverick

Since the US were the main suppliers of kit before the Soviet supply, perhaps some MERDC desert themed colours and camo patterns might be appropriate?

This link gives you the baseline colours used & combinations for various areas which might help.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/afv/merdc.html

HTH,

Mav

Old Wombat

Maverick

No probs, let us know how you go.  I've always thought the upgunned LAVs were nifty looking beasts.  I've got my own Hobby Boss 35th LAV 90mm awaiting an ARA paintjob. (That is if the floods haven't got to it!)

Regards,

Mav

Taiidantomcat

One of the things I have noticed about some African armies is they seem to adopt the same uniforms and styles as their form colonial rules. There are a lot of African nations that if you put a British or french soldier next to his African counterpart you couldn't tell who was from where... but where is the fun in that?

So you could change the camo but keep the cut of the uniform the same (also a nice way to use off the shelf figures) MERDC scheme with different colors could look good same with the Berlin Brigade:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Hmmm, whatever the markings, it just has to have the Lion of Judah!  :thumbsup:

Or even without the green/yellow/red flag as on this Potez.

Quote from: Maverick on January 18, 2011, 08:08:59 PM
<...> perhaps some MERDC desert themed colours and camo patterns might be appropriate?
<...>

Hmm, an African take on MERDC? Splendid idea!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Old Wombat

Not a big fan of MERDC, myself. Almost everything I've seen wearing it (except winter schemes, for some odd reason) seem to stand out like dogs cods.

I've been looking around &, so far, the 2 schemes at the bottom of the post are what I'm tossing between (especially like the amoeba scheme).

The Ethiopian Imperial Flag is OK but I'd like something more like a roundel, if they had one*.

Maverick

Regarding the Ethiopian roundel, you could use their current one with the star removed & replaced by the Lion off the earlier flag.

Something like this:

Regards,

Mav

Old Wombat

That's a really good piece of work, Mav, I like it! :thumbsup:

What I might do is your roundel (or, if I need to hand paint, the simplified green, yellow & red roundel) on the turret tops & vehicle sides, with the Imperial Ethiopian flag fore & aft.

:unsure:

Now, to find someone who'll do the decals... Do we know anyone, folks?

Or should I try a couple of guys from the SSM forums who I know do decals?

I am willing to pay going rates, & I can, at least, rough out the markings.