Hind-SKL

Started by Taiidantomcat, January 18, 2011, 12:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

SKL reminded me It was time to get a move on with this:

The first big problem was, how can I do that with a 1/48 scale hind? Well the answer is I couldn't not without it taking months and months. Luckily I remembered I had a whole stack of Soviet Helicopters in 1/72! Well that makes things easier!  :drink:

Here is the scheme I am going with:

one last note, As I sat down and marked the places to cut on the kit with pencil, I noticed how nice and curvy SKLs Hind design is, while noting how an alternate more utilitarian version with sharp cuts (think Sikorsky Skycrane) and fixed mi-8/17 landing gear would be plausible too... So as soon as I get a second 1/72 Hind I am going to do the utility version with camo and loaded to the teeth. 
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

chrisonord

Will be watching this with interest for sure  :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

ChernayaAkula

Whoa, that is one cool project!  :o So, New Port City and Vladivostok have a defence co-operation agreement? Wonder what the Russian version of the Major looks like? :wub:

Are you going to install a co-axial rotor as well?

A MOST interesting Hip scheme! Would love to build a *gasp* real-world model of that.

Smart idea: having a black paintjob so as to disguise the fact that you've got a very smoky engine.
Not so smart idea: Spoiling aforementioned idea by running a slogan through the engine exhaust area, show-casing the fact that you've got a very smoky engine. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Army of One

YESSSSSS!!!!! I shall be watching this one very closely.......can't wait to see the progress shots......more....post more....!!!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

saintkatanalegacy

once this is finished, I'll vote it as build of the year :wacko:
Ivylicious!™

Army of One

Well.....???? Its been 24hrs.......................
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: saintkatanalegacy on January 20, 2011, 02:21:56 AM
once this is finished, I'll vote it as build of the year :wacko:

You have more faith in my building skills than me!

Quote from: Army of One on January 20, 2011, 07:20:20 AM
Well.....???? Its been 24hrs.......................

Sorry! LOL

got the cockpit installed onto one half! Thats a big deal because it means I am very close to slapping it together and getting the real nitty-gritty going. also a big deal because it was one of those moments when you have the glue going and then about five things come apart all at once! it was a PITA!! I have been working on the two piece sub assemblies along with the (much more than two pieces!!) Esci Kamov rotor head. (you can see a piece of it in the top left corner)

I need to adjust where the tail boom meets the fuselage in order to get it closer to SKL's profile (if you compare the first pic and profile you will see what i mean)

Still not sure if i should pose it in flight which means crew members(!) The long landing gear was a problem, but luckily I found some X-32 gear (that thing had some long spindly gear!) So I think I can have it on the ground. good to have options!

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

saintkatanalegacy

wow, I'm impressed with your resourcefulness :o

you must have a warehouse full of kit models :lol:
Ivylicious!™

flappydaffy

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: looks cool ... but what is that enormous thingh hanging from its belly?? A minigun?

cheers
julian

saintkatanalegacy

that enormous thing is an inverted phalanx CIWS ;)

I always wanted to put a tunguska M1 though :lol:
Ivylicious!™

Army of One

As Mr Billy Idol sang......'More ,more,more......!!!'  ;D
Looking forward to this more n more.....!!!! Can't wait for the next 48hrs......!!!  :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

lancer

Quote from: Army of One on January 21, 2011, 11:58:18 AM
As Mr Billy Idol sang......'More ,more,more......!!!'  ;D
Looking forward to this more n more.....!!!! Can't wait for the next 48hrs......!!!  :thumbsup:

Hank, you're a Hind groupie.... :cheers: :cheers:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Taiidantomcat

This was taken about an hour into today's work. Main rotor mast in for alignment purposes. Should have the fuselage halves closed tomorrow. Once I get a few more external pieces glued in place from the inside so there is less mess, I will reinforce some internal structure, then its onto the daunting task (still thinking it through of how to cover up those gaping holes!! --without requiring vats of putty!!) I also need to search through and find a spherical object that can be turned into that big nose sensor

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on January 18, 2011, 04:31:14 PM

Smart idea: having a black paintjob so as to disguise the fact that you've got a very smoky engine.
Not so smart idea: Spoiling aforementioned idea by running a slogan through the engine exhaust area, show-casing the fact that you've got a very smoky engine. :lol:

Had not even noticed that!  :lol:

Tophe

Courageous project. The result might be wonderful, but this seems so difficult to get. :blink: :-\ ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]