S

B-49D StratoWing

Started by SteveV22FE, May 21, 2004, 09:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveV22FE

The time: 1962
The place: Fairchild Air Force Base Alert
The plane: B-49D StratoWing

The B-49D was the first of the B-49 series to carry the Hound Dog missle. Affectionatly called "Elvis's" by there crews the B-49D stood watch over America's skies for 20 years.

Aircav

Can't seem to get the links to work for me
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Martin H

heres the one i did a few years ago
Type. B-49C
unit. 49th bomb wing
place. Anderson AFB Guam.
time. Circa 1962.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Scooterman

Yeah Steve!!!  Damn dude, that looks fecking GREAT in natural metal & white.  And the SAC sash!  YES!

Mmmmmmm SAC sash. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

(and just for general info, the pics didn't load on the fourm but if you cut and paste the links into your brouser they work)

Yours is tits too Martin.   :cheers:

I need to find one of those kits.  Always wanted to do the 6 jet RB-49.

Brad

Aircav

Got the links to work  :P

WOW!!! What a babe :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
She looks great  ;)  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

WeeJimmy

As the Wiggles say, "Beauty mate!" :lol:  

gooberliberation

i would be honored to shoot one down with my su-81...

just kidding! :cheers:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Captain Canada

Looking good, Steve ! I like the opened up cockpit, as well as the gret undersides......sweet !

Yours is looking pretty sweet as well, Martin !

Keep up the great work !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

Neat!!

I love it!

Congrats!

:wub:  

Mairfrog

Smashing model old chap!  :cheers:

I heard that XB-49 was rejected as a bomber cos it had no stability in any axis. Despite the addition of 'vertical flow separators' i.e. fins it simply wouldn't stay still long enough to accurately hit a target. Not really a concern with nuclear payloads but for conventional loads it was like trying to bomb from a helicopter!  :huh:

nev

Sweet.   :wub:

I remember back in the day, there was a link to a site with an alternate history of the B-49.  There were some cool ideas.  My favourite was an artic supply aircraft with skis fitted and that hi vis US artic scheme  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Swamphen

QuoteI remember back in the day, there was a link to a site with an alternate history of the B-49.

Here you go:

http://www.geocities.com/qcsms/index.html  :wub:

Reading these made me put the Vietnam War back in my Universe 102 timeline.  :f16:

P.S. Steve, Martin: radicool Stratowings!!  :D

elmayerle

QuoteSmashing model old chap!  :cheers:

I heard that XB-49 was rejected as a bomber cos it had no stability in any axis. Despite the addition of 'vertical flow separators' i.e. fins it simply wouldn't stay still long enough to accurately hit a target. Not really a concern with nuclear payloads but for conventional loads it was like trying to bomb from a helicopter!  :huh:
Actually, a SAS (Stability Augmentation System) was well on it's way to being developed when the program was cancelled.  A more immediate need was the redesign of the weapons bays to accomodate nukes rather than large numbers of conventional bombs.  Of course, there are always those charges that Symington cancelled the B-35/B-49 program because Northrop refused to merge with General Dynamics.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Joe C-P

I've an AMT B-35 sitting in the closet waiting to become a PS-1, in the classic USN gray-over-white scheme. Maybe this will be the year...
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.