Lunar Dragon

Started by Atlantis, January 11, 2011, 06:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

Thanks to the snow storm in North Alabama, UAH was closed for Monday and Tuesday and I decided that, with the time off, I'd tackle a project I've been meaning to do for some time. I modified an existing Falcon 9 kit by creating an Earth Departure stage and booster nose cones  from the large diameter payload fairing included in the kit. I scatchbuilt the LES and BPC; I learned a lot about designing in MS word over the course of the project.

This particular configuration is intended for an Apollo 8-style flyby. A landing would be performed using two F9 heavies, one carrying the Dragon spacecraft and the other carrying the Wyvern lander and EDS (The Wyvern is something I made up) until the Falcon X is available.

Snow at the Charger Village food court

royabulgaf

Oh boo hoo!  I shoveled that much off my driveway this afternoon.

Greetings from Lake Carroll, in beautiful Baja Wisconsin
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

anthonyp

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Love the model but have to laugh at the amount of snow closing down parts of the south.  That much snow usually means "OK, time to put away the shorts" up here in Siberia, er, Michigan.  LOL

I have at least twice that on my driveway right now, waiting for the storm to let up by 10pm so I can snow blow it.

BTW, what'd you build her out of?  I've got similar ideas using some 1/125 Ariane V's and 1/144 shuttle ET's.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Atlantis

I used 110 lb card stock and the Falcon model available here

http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_postapollo.html

anthonyp

Thanks for linking, my snow fail buddy  ;D

I have all sorts of crazy ideas now, based on that link.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Hobbes

Good to see a Falcon 9 model. I've been playing with the idea of building one in plastic, but haven't found a good way to create the engines.

John Howling Mouse

Cool.  Love the way the xmas lights on the first shots make you think of a lit launchtower, too.

Nice job.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Atlantis

Noisy Rodent gave me an idea...

The bulk of it is from an old space toy assortment I got Christmas when I was 8 (parts of it has of found their way into many of my scratch/bashes) The rest of it is cardstock, and the left over LED lights from Cardmodel Tree 2011.

Taiidantomcat

That is impressive!! Thats card stock?! :blink:  :bow: Cool snow picture  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.