Axis Abrams

Started by Taiidantomcat, January 07, 2011, 11:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

This was one of my first big what if projects when I got back into models 5 years ago. It has been on hold for years now because a lot of the problems I encountered with it were vexing at the time but thanks to better tools and experience, as i look at it now it looks pretty simple, just need more time. Its been in the closet back shelf forever but I was talking with Moritz and thought it would be a good time to post some pictures finally and Get some feedback. One of the other things that held me back is decisions on some of the mods I wanted to put on it (regular 120 smooth bore or 128MM WWII gun?) and still have no idea on the scheme, or time, or place it should be serving in its little universe  :-\

Its the cheap old 1/35 tamiya Panther and a DML Abrams bashed together. I feel the Abrams is one of the best looking tanks ever, so its hard to go wrong with it. Its hard to tell from the pics, but the turret has been modified to look more lozenge like more like a pentagon when viewed from above. The plate in front of the turret side boxes is pushed out wider than normal, but I didn't really make the modification drastic enough (next time will be different :wacko:)  

:tank:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

Interesting.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

What's the function intended the massive box on the bustle?

I had to take a second look when I noticed the change in suspension.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: rickshaw on January 07, 2011, 04:04:39 PM
What's the function intended the massive box on the bustle?

I just thought they could use a place to keep all that personal gear out of the weather, Change the shape a little as well
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Like it a lot!  :thumbsup: Think the side skirts kinda cover too much of its distinctiveness, though.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

proditor

The road wheels just sell it.  Can't wait to see this sucker progress!

Fulcrum

Wow, that is interesting!!!

Would also be interesting to have it come up against Allied T-72/80's.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

dy031101

The fit is perfect!  :thumbsup:

Makes me want to think what modern tank would go best with a late-model Panther or Tiger II suspension......  :cheers:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

John Howling Mouse

Sure looks futuristic.  Looking forward to your progress on this one.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Neat idea....definately have to keep looking to spot what is really going on. Be sure to finish it this time, eh ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Yep I missed the running gear on first look aswell !

Keeping a watch on this one  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

MiB

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on January 08, 2011, 11:58:14 AM
Sure looks futuristic.  Looking forward to your progress on this one.
Rite  :thumbsup:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

jsport

Sure woud like to see this as would others.  :smiley: :thumbsup: