You can tell you're getting older when.... (modelling related)

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, January 03, 2011, 12:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Like me, you've just placed an order with (in this instance), Hannants, and six out of the seven items are paint masks !!  :rolleyes:

So, for a bit of fun, what modelling items do you now buy which are directly related to your advancing years ?? - Over to you.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

jorel62

You can tell you're getting older when.... You can remember buying Aurora models when they were NEW!!!!!!

Army of One

I would have to say the kits themselves when in the sale......with an ex wife with two children and my son with SWMBO'd, a thisty diesel,a motorbike.....I have to make do with tape,maskol n a scalpel.....cheap kits are great...hardly ever these days pay full price for a kit these days.....my fiirst job when I left school was working in Beatties in Kingston with a blinkin good discount...!!! Although SWMBO'd bought me an illuminated magnifying glass/lamp....she thinks that as I'm over 40 I might need it.....light is great but painting under the glass takes some getting used to.....  
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

bobbo

Quote from: jorel62 on January 03, 2011, 01:22:49 PM
You can tell you're getting older when.... You can remember buying Aurora models when they were NEW!!!!!!

;) ;)  me, too. And Renwal, Comet, FROG,  . . .

And now days, considering 1/48 scale as "small . . . And a small electric heater to keep my hands from getting too stiff . . . Along with Arthritis Formula Tylenol(tm) . . . And magnifying goggles . . .

bobbo

Maverick

Another factor would be remebering when a model was a model and not a bit of plastic with 5 times it's price added in resin & etched metal as aftermarket.

Regards,

Mav

ChrisF

You remember when your local newsagent sold matchbox kits ?

Army of One

Or bagged Airfix 1/72 kits.....I remember them at 32p.....and the 1/24 Stuka at £7.29 when it first came out
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

thedarkmaster

when you finally admitt to yourself that all those kits in the Stash you where going to do " one day "  will never get done and it's time to thin them out !!
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Gondor

when item in the Airfix catalogue were really NEW items and not just a re-release.... for the umpteenth time

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

dragon

1.  You have kits that you purchased "last century" or "four Presidents ago" and have yet to build.
2.  Your "Hangar Queens" are older than the highest paid actors in the current movies at your local theatre.
3.  You realize that when you purchased your airbrush, the Soviet Union still existed.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Captain Canada

I'm seriously considering switching to light beer while modelling....I can't seem to get anything done with my current brand !

Does that count ?

:drink: :blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Fulcrum

(I know I'm too young for this but it's a recent problem.)

...there is only 1(or none) model stores left in the city(1 model store for a city with 100,000 people)

...the model store dedicates itself/most of it's room for a silly futuristic wargaming fad with 6 tables in the back while all the remaining models are put in a small, central aisle.(Sorry guys, but Warhammer 40,000 is a pathetic waste of time(Star Wars are better))
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

thedarkmaster

Quotefuturistic wargaming fad

Whilst i agree about the rules must say i cannot about it being a fad.......been around since 1987, thats a long fad longer than most whom play it have been alive............its marketing mate.
i worked for games Workshop during this period and i know they tried to get a Star Wars licence to design a game....mr Lucas refused so 40k was born.......his loss i think
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Nigel Bunker

You can tell you're getting older when.... a quick calculation shows you will have to live to 150 to complete the models in your stash.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Fulcrum

Quote from: thedarkmaster on January 04, 2011, 12:26:48 AM

Quotefuturistic wargaming fad

Whilst i agree about the rules must say i cannot about it being a fad.......been around since 1987, thats a long fad longer than most whom play it have been alive............its marketing mate.
i worked for games Workshop during this period and i know they tried to get a Star Wars licence to design a game....mr Lucas refused so 40k was born.......his loss i think
Yeah, it makes sense to have a healthy market for it. I didn't know it was around a year before my birth.
Also I agree that it's too bad as this ranks as one of the biggest regrets of Mr. Lucas' strict copyright's of the Star Wars universe.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler