Paint Cross Reference Charts

Started by lancer, May 18, 2004, 11:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Following on from reading  Geoffs thread about cross reffing to Halfords paints, I was thinking if it'd be a good idea to produce a listing for the equivalent Halfords spray paints to Humbrol; Xtracolor and other ranges.

What do the rest of ya think???
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Geoff_B

Martin H

ok so who is our resident halford expert?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Leigh

I bought a Judas Priest album once does that count?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Joe C-P

Somewhere out there on the web there is such a list, cross-referencing several brands of model paints. I used to have a copy, but it's long gone. Give it a Google, or whatever your chosen search engine is.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

nev

One was IPMS Stockholm, the other was Don Colour.  One was better than the other, but that one has gone/moved.

I think Lee has done a bit of experimentation with Halfords paints.

I have a much scribbled on list of Xtracolour paints upon which I cross reference Humbrol, Tamiya & Gunze paints as I go along and work them out :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mike Wren

I use Rover Tempest Grey for Royal Navy Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Sea Grey (I'm not fussed about colour minutiae though), it's also good for USAF Gunship Grey for F-15Es & the like

Shasper

IPMS Stockholm chart

Try that, althought I dunno if its what youguys are looking for. :unsure:

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

TsrJoe

the large size Humbrol spray cans are good too...their grey primer is a pretty close match for dark sea grey, their matt (satin) black good for WW2 night, these, as well as all the others having good covering properties too...gloss red (roundel), blue (french), green (ident & racing), yellow (ident), etc. the silver in their decorative range (red can!) is pretty fine grained and the one i use on most of my 'silver' finished display models!

btw. this range can usually be found in discount stores, corner shops, cash and carry's too, with prices ranging from 1.20 to around 2.50, so good value too!

happy modelling. cheers, joe  :ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

SinUnNombre

Hey all. I'm getting ready to start my build for the Airfix GB, the Hunter FGA.9. I've hit a slight snag though. The paint callouts are Humbrol colors, and are just listed as a number. I've never even handled a bottle of Humbrol paint, so I have no idea what colors some of the pieces should be. Is there a list or soomethig available that I can cross reference against regular color names? Thanks for any help. Later.

Jon

Hobbes

IPMS Stockholm has Color reference charts which will help you translate Humbrol colors to other brands.  

SinUnNombre

Thanks, Hobbes. That helps a lot.

Jon

Nigel Bunker

QuoteI've never even handled a bottle of Humbrol paint

You won't have done - they come in tinlets!
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Overkiller

Aircav

Hope this helps

FS:30372 Stone
12*Hu:168 + 1*Hu:113 (7*Hu:187 + 3*Hu:129)

FS:34108 Green
1*Hu:101 + 1*Hu:88

http://www.geocities.com/iek_17/tables/fs595a-1.htm

All the best
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader