Propeller F-14 Tomcat?

Started by Taiidantomcat, January 01, 2011, 01:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Where do you attach the props /Nacelles? I had the idea of just putting them in the normal spot and making a pusher, but the distance between the Nacelles is pretty small... Any ideas from you magnificent whiffers?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

philp

Are you planning to keep the swing wing option?  If not, could add wing engines just outboard where the scoops are.  Or even just a big one on the nose?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Cliffy B

Hmmmm....could pusher contra-props work?  Not sure if the engines being side-by-side is an insurmountable issue or not.  Just an idea   ;D
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Weaver

Pusher propfans? Lots of small blades rather than a few big ones?

Then again it's such a mad idea, why not just go the whole hog and put them in swivelling pods on the swing wings.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

The major problem you have with doing what you propose is simply the fact that the F-14 as is/was has been designed to use Jet engines. You will have to perform a thorough re-design of the aircraft to use turbo props or propellers of any sort.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Gear both engines together (BIG turbo-props) leave the exhausts where they are now and install a SOCKING great shaft under the cockpit to a monster contra-prop on the nose. Run the waveguide through the middle of the shaft so the radar can still go at the front.

Sorted.......  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

Thanks for all the replies folks... devious genius in a lot of those ideas  :wacko: I think I might so a scale-o-rama of a 1/48 Tomcat gluing the wings in a similar angle and adding props and 1/72 side by side seats for a Tu-95/Tu-142 Bear  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

simmie

As a lad I always thought it would look cool with multi-blade, contra rotating propfans, with the engine exhausting out the center.

Mind you I also liked the idea of a B-1 with 2 large commercial fans instead of the twin engined pods, possibly with the intakes from the Boeing SSC thing they did not so long ago.
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!