Vulcan XL319 return to the sky

Started by lenny100, December 31, 2010, 12:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

ok not a what if build but a real world
during the early part of 2010 a second vulcan tried to return to the air, although this one XL319 had no take off permision, and no runway clearance and no crew onboard?
XL319 was built at Avros Woodford works.
It first flew in 1961 and joined 27 sqdn at Scampton, then 617 sqdn also at Scampton where it carried the Blue Steel stand off nuclear weppon. In 1963 it went back to 27 sqdn until its disbandment in 1972 where it returned back to 617 until 1975. XL319 joined 230 OCU on 30th August 1978 where it flew to St Anthan for servicing and fitment of an ETCM fin tip. After this it returned to Scampton on the 4th January 1979 with 355 sqdn. In 1982 it joined 44 sqdn at Waddington after the disbandment of 35 sqdn.
It was acquired by the museum for £5,000 and flown to Sunderland Airport by Sqn Ldr R J Reeve and Sqn Ldr N McDougall DFC on 21 January 1983 to join the NEAM and was the first of its type to be released to an independent collection in the UK.

have recived my airfix vulcan and started the build makeing the sub asemblies for the tail and intakes etc.
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

pyro-manic

Ahh, this was the incident with the snow, yes? Are you going to buid it in the nose-up position? ;D
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

lenny100

yer found some photos showing a few things that will get the jmn going, as she was undergoing a well meaning paint job at the time, which has gone no further, and large patches are a lime green on the underside! and the snow cover means i wont need to try and repaint the mess the paint on the top has become.

rickshaw

Is this the incident you're referring to - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNP8epdbIi0 ?

What exactly happened?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Fulcrum

Too much snow on the trailing edge of the big delta wing, causing the centre of gravity of the aircraft to shift.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

lenny100

not a lot of dammage was done apoart from the radom on the rear which took the wight of the aircraft and the newly fitted steel engine covers.