B

Boeing Model 314 Clipper and C-98

Started by B777LR, June 25, 2009, 06:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

How about a 1950s/60s ASW version, with turboprops, MAD boom, torpedo's hung under the wing, sonobouy launchers and all the thingies that make ASW aircraft nice!

Then, going along the Japanese path, a replacement would be needed in the 1990s/2000s. Imagine a new-build 314 with 4 eight bladed PW150A, glass cockpit, bomb bay, updated wings, new tail surfaces, aerodynamic nose, large oberserver windows, built in landing gear and all things that make a P-8 nice :wub:

jcf

Boeing proposed the Model 320 to the Navy in 1938:

One XPBB-1 'Sea Ranger' was built and flown in 1942, it was only slightly smaller than the B-29,
and used the same airfoil:

One observation Jeffry, your turrets are way overscale, the 314 used the Model 294(XB-15) wing and it was larger
than the B-29 (152' span, 106' length vs. 141.23' span, 99' length), the XB-15 is a good guide for relative turret size.
The wings were so thick that the engine accessory area could be reached in flight via internal passageways.
Bomb capacity could actually be quite large. The 314 control cabin was so large that mounting a turret in the area
would require little rearranging of crew members.

Daryl J.

Do you have the Airfix 1/144 kit in mind?   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Daryl J.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Daryl J. on June 25, 2009, 04:17:26 PMDo you have the Airfix 1/144 kit in mind?
Daryl,

Yes, 1/144th scale since Airfix and Minicraft/Academy both offer the Model 314 kit in that scale.  Sadly, there are no other kits that I am aware of in a larger scale, save for the already built-up Model 314 in 1/50th scale but the price on that kit requires taking out a second mortgage :^(

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 25, 2009, 10:43:52 AMBoeing proposed the Model 320 to the Navy in 1938

One XPBB-1 'Sea Ranger' was built and flown in 1942, it was only slightly smaller than the B-29,
and used the same airfoil

One observation Jeffry, your turrets are way overscale, the 314 used the Model 294(XB-15) wing and it was larger than the B-29 (152' span, 106' length vs. 141.23' span, 99' length), the XB-15 is a good guide for relative turret size.  The wings were so thick that the engine accessory area could be reached in flight via internal passageways.  Bomb capacity could actually be quite large. The 314 control cabin was so large that mounting a turret in the area

Jon,

You are harshing my buzz here.  Thanks for the additional illustrations for the Sea Ranger and the Model 314.  I have to say that what Boeing offered the Navy is a bit beyond my imagination.  I am sure Tophe will be thrilled.  But me, not so much. 

Regarding the scale on the turrets that were added in haste to a rather smallish image by copying and reducing the parts in question from anther much larger drawing.  I was working with the resources at hand after performing a search for a suitable image of a plain vanilla Model 314 and that was the best I could do on short notice.  I will say that it has served its purpose well in generating discussion on the Model 314 as a WHIF or real subject so I feel my concept applied to a poor quality image has done what it was intended to do. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

famvburg

I need to round up my list, but IIRC, Combat Models offers a 1/72 vac of the 314. I know they do offer a couple of the other large flying boats & they may be what I'm thinking of tho.

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 25, 2009, 06:25:30 PM
Quote from: Daryl J. on June 25, 2009, 04:17:26 PMDo you have the Airfix 1/144 kit in mind?
Daryl,

Yes, 1/144th scale since Airfix and Minicraft/Academy both offer the Model 314 kit in that scale.  Sadly, there are no other kits that I am aware of in a larger scale, save for the already built-up Model 314 in 1/50th scale but the price on that kit requires taking out a second mortgage :^(

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 25, 2009, 10:43:52 AMBoeing proposed the Model 320 to the Navy in 1938

and used the same airfoil

One observation Jeffry, your turrets are way overscale, the 314 used the Model 294(XB-15) wing and it was larger than the B-29 (152' span, 106' length vs. 141.23' span, 99' length), the XB-15 is a good guide for relative turret size.  The wings were so thick that the engine accessory area could be reached in flight via internal passageways.  Bomb capacity could actually be quite large. The 314 control cabin was so large that mounting a turret in the area

Jon,

You are harshing my buzz here.  Thanks for the additional illustrations for the Sea Ranger and the Model 314.  I have to say that what Boeing offered the Navy is a bit beyond my imagination.  I am sure Tophe will be thrilled.  But me, not so much. 

Regarding the scale on the turrets that were added in haste to a rather smallish image by copying and reducing the parts in question from anther much larger drawing.  I was working with the resources at hand after performing a search for a suitable image of a plain vanilla Model 314 and that was the best I could do on short notice.  I will say that it has served its purpose well in generating discussion on the Model 314 as a WHIF or real subject so I feel my concept applied to a poor quality image has done what it was intended to do. 

PR19_Kit

The Foynes Flying Boat Museum in Ireland has a full size replica of a B314, albeit shortened a bit aft of the wings, as part of their collection. The whole 'aircraft' is available to visit, including the flight deck. It's notable quite how large the flight deck is compared to a modern day airliner, you could have a SERIOUS party in there!

A couple of piccies show what I mean.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 25, 2009, 06:40:46 AM
What If the Boeing engineers had been able to modify the Model 314 and offer it to the Navy as a long range patrol aircraft?

I must admit that I've often wondered about something similar - I picture it much as a early compliment to the likes of the Sunderland - maybe even supplied under Lend-Lease.

I was also aware of the XB-15 links as pointed out by Jon and often wondered why a pure military version of the 314 didn't appear.

As a bit of a dreaming, I've merged the Model 294 and Model 314 drawings to come up with a representation of what such a version (at least early variant - pre all the modern turrets) might have looked like:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Quote from: apophenia on June 26, 2009, 03:10:26 PM
Wow, that 1/72 Model 314 must be a monster  :blink:

For B787's idea, I was thinking 1/144 Clipper with Airfix/Minicraft Boeing 727-200 tail. But engines ... is there a 1/144 Q400 out there???

Nope, but the ATR uses the same engine (well sorta, not the exact version). Italeri does a 1/144 ASW ATR-42. That should get some extra bits and bobs for ASW. If anybody wants to do this conversion, and has an ATR airframe or 2 lying around afterwords, please contact me. I might want to trade :thumbsup:

Cliffy B

Hey guys!  During my recent trip to my LHS I had a look over the discount table.  On it I found one of Minicraft's 1/144 Boeing Clippers with a giant 50% sticker on it.  Needless to say it now resides in my stash  ;D 

I know I want to whiff it but I'm at a loss for ideas.  The obvious is make a USN patrol bomber out of similar to a PBY or PBM.  Another idea is make it a long range transport which a few were actually used.  Even though I like both of those ideas I want to build it up as something different.

What do you guys think?  I want to keep it in a 1940-1952 time frame, preferably the later end but anywhere in there will do.  Any thoughts, ideas, sketches, etc... will be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Weaver

I've got the Airfix 1/144th Clipper and the Minicraft 1/144th Stratoliner. My idea was to bash them together to make a pressurised flying boat airliner, by fitting the lower hull of the Clipper around the lower fuselage "bubble" of the Stratoliner. Wing position is a problem: the two aircraft have vastly different wing designs, so the Clipper's wing root section isn't any use in moving the Stratoliner's to a high position, nor can you just invert the latter's wing root area because of the double-bubble fuselage.

Anyway, I'll probably never get around to actually doing it, so feel free to use the idea or something like it if you want. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Maverick

Mike,

You could always head left of centre & go for a Coastal Command bird or perhaps even a Soviet options, both sides using Cats and the RAF having the mighty Sunderland too.  Along that bigger ship's line, there is the all black Sunderland that 230 Sqn flew in SEAC roundels or a post War SAAF version.  Either which way, turrets fore, aft & dorsal are a must in my opinion.

Regards,

Mav

Cobra

What About doing the Clipper as an RAF ASR Bird in RAF Rescue Yellow? might be something to Consider.Dan

frank2056

You can make the flying boat version of the Boeing 306 flying wing.

jcf

Get another one.  ;D

ysi_maniac

Land based versions of Boeing 314 Clipper

Will die without understanding this world.