PanzerWulff

Can you say the new "The Rat Patrol!!!"

I used to love that show
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: frank2056 on September 21, 2007, 10:15:35 AMIt looks funny, in a good way:

It looks like a modern version of the Canadian Ford Field Gun Tractor

Frank,

Thank you for providing a hard copy of what I was proposing.  It looks just like I had imagined it when I was looking at the pieces in the kit box. 

Yep, it would make an excellent little gun tractor or scout vehicle for two people and a minimum amount of kit (equipment).
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

frank2056

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 21, 2007, 07:43:53 PMFrank,

Thank you for providing a hard copy of what I was proposing.  It looks just like I had imagined it when I was looking at the pieces in the kit box. 

Yep, it would make an excellent little gun tractor or scout vehicle for two people and a minimum amount of kit (equipment).

Jeffry, I think you're right - it looks like a fairly easy mod to any of the existing kits. The Italeri might be a good, cheap candidate. It doesn't look much longer than a WWII Jeep, and the bigger tires would help with driving through desert scrub brushes and dirt.

Frank

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: frank2056 on September 23, 2007, 11:37:34 AMJeffry, I think you're right - it looks like a fairly easy mod to any of the existing kits. The Italeri might be a good, cheap candidate. It doesn't look much longer than a WWII Jeep, and the bigger tires would help with driving through desert scrub brushes and dirt.

Frank,

In addition to the Italeri kit of the HMMWV, you might want to expand your search to include the old Esci/AMT-Ertl HMMWV kit if you can find it since that kit was even cheaper than the Italeri kit and very eligible for a good kit bashing.  
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

ysi_maniac

QuoteIt looks funny, in a good way:

It looks like a modern version of the Canadian Ford Field Gun Tractor

Frank
It is nice. Then with discarded section and a second kit, you could make a lenghtened (3 doos per side) version. A limousine humvie :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

PanzerWulff

The streched version might make a good C3 vehicle for smaller units

"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

SinUnNombre

I hate to go digging up old posts, but I had a thoguht when looking at the pics. What if you cut out the section and used the rear doors for the fronts, then added the additional axle and cut off the back of the roof to make a pickup-style bed? I'm not sure what kind of role you could use it for, but it would be cool lookign at least.

Jon  

Jeffry Fontaine

You are suggesting something that I had considered but decided against suggesting it as it made the chopped HMMWV look like a fat jeep, something that was as wide as it was long with four wheels.  I thought it was effective looking and the turn radius would be interesting as well as the pulling/towing capacity since you would basically have a jeep (M151) size vehicle with more horsepower available and greater ground clearance.  Losing the hard top was always one of my intentions and I am glad you suggested it.  

GTX

This one made me think of maybe doing a modern day half track.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

SinUnNombre

QuoteI hate to go digging up old posts, but I had a thoguht when looking at the pics. What if you cut out the section and used the rear doors for the fronts, then added the additional axle and cut off the back of the roof to make a pickup-style bed? I'm not sure what kind of role you could use it for, but it would be cool lookign at least.

Jon
Here's a pic of what I mean:

What do you guys think? I think that I have a new project.

Jon

jcf

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 01, 2007, 02:03:05 PMI'd think you'd have a modern Dodge WC-63 weapons carrier :)
The old Dodge weapons carrier was an interesting vehicle and perhaps it would benefit from a separate topic for the sake of keeping this thread devoted to the HMMWV. 
The HMMWV was sort of intended to be a replacement for the weapons carrier type of vehicle.  Odd that there was no direct replacement for that exact type of vehicle in the Army inventory considering the different types of vehicle that the HMMWV did replace.  It was rated in the same 1.5 ton weight category as the HMMWV and it certainly had more space in the rear of the vehicle for troops or equipment.  Now back to our regular scheduled programming...

Not sure if the rest of the WHIF membership has been following the development of the Active Denial System in the news.  Old news at best but the video clips of the ADS mounted on the HMMWV give the impression that the only thing holding this particular system back from a deployment to contested areas is the intestinal fortitude of the decision makers. 

The current configuration of the ADS mounted on the HMMWV is quite bulky with things hanging off the side of the vehicle that appear to be cooling devices for the ADs electronics contained in the vehicle.  Perhaps a 6X6 HMMWV would be a more practical application for carrying the ADS. 

References:
Current description of ADS from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Program https://www.jnlwp.com/ads.asp
Defense Update http://www.defense-update.com/products/a/ads.htm

The 6X6 version of the HMMWV would also be beneficial for carrying the Avenger air defense system since the longer wheelbase would allow the opportunity to carry additional equipment that previously would have been relegated to a trailer towed behind the vehicle. 

On another note, can anyone tell me if the roof of the HMMWV weapons carrier will support the M40 106mm Recoiless Rifle?  Had an idea for a weapon carrier fitted with the M40 but it would be silly to do it if it will not support the weight of the weapon in real life.  I have seen images of the standard HMMWV cargo vehicle fitted with the M40 in the back of the vehicle which is where it was normally carried on the M151 quarter ton utility vehicle.  If it were mounted on the roof of the HMMWV, it would be just the mount exclusive of the tripod assembly that is normally fitted to the weapon, this would be carried on the vehicle but not mounted on the weapon.  The roof mount would be the same as that used for the recoiless rifle mounted on the Academy M113 kit.

Archangel

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 22, 2008, 08:52:48 AMOn another note, can anyone tell me if the roof of the HMMWV weapons carrier will support the M40 106mm Recoiless Rifle?  Had an idea for a weapon carrier fitted with the M40 but it would be silly to do it if it will not support the weight of the weapon in real life.  I have seen images of the standard HMMWV cargo vehicle fitted with the M40 in the back of the vehicle which is where it was normally carried on the M151 quarter ton utility vehicle.  If it were mounted on the roof of the HMMWV, it would be just the mount exclusive of the tripod assembly that is normally fitted to the weapon, this would be carried on the vehicle but not mounted on the weapon.  The roof mount would be the same as that used for the recoiless rifle mounted on the Academy M113 kit.
I have my doubts as to the roof of a hard top Hummer taking the weight of an M40. There is nothing underneath it to hold it up and it would be hard for it to not cause cracks in the roof.I have driven and been a passenger in HMMVees for a long time. Arming one with a 106MM would probably solve alot of problems encountered in Urban warfare settings and with the right ammo give it am anti armor capability that a TOW armed version couldn't.

Jeffry Fontaine

Most of my military experience was with the M151, M35, and M54 series vehicles.  I was a passenger in a HMMWV once or twice before I was discharged in 1990 and I don't recall much about the inside of the vehicle save for the huge expanse of real estate between the seats where the radio rack was fitted.  I know that AFV Club did kit an HMMWV with an open top framework that had a Mk19 AGL mounted in a ring mount that was surrounded by a roll cage of some kind composed of what I thought was square tubing.  I got the impression that this was the framework that supported the hard top on the HMMWV weapons carrier versions but not a good image of what the interior looks like this is purely conjecture at this point. 

Odd that the Russians fielded a guided missile for the T-55 series that is 100mm in diameter and all we had to offer at the time were the Dragon and TOW ATGM (both of which are 152mm in diameter with varying sizes of warhead).  It would be practical to create a dual purpose weapon system that could fire both types of munitions; guided missiles and conventional ammunition.  The HMMWV would be an excellent weapons carrier for something based on the M40 recoiless rifle and a guided missile that could be launched (or fired) from that weapon.  Not every target should be serviced by a guided missile.  What better way to obscure a target than with WP or reconnaissance by fire with a HEP round?  The original weapon had a spotting rifle, that can be improved upon by installing a laser range finder in addition to a missile control package and you would have a very capable weapon for direct fire support mounted on the HMMWV.

Hobbes

You could always add a tubular frame between the roof and chassis to support heavier weapons.