Entendard IV and Super Entendard

Started by Archibald, November 15, 2008, 11:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

a supersonic Etendard IV built from a Mirage IIIC - both from Jean Cuny 's "les avions de combats français 1945-60"
;D

Early Mirages - 01, I, II, III-01 - early Etendards - II, IV, VI - and late Mystères were all very similar.
All flew between 1954 and 1957; all were transonics.

Etendard and Mirage bodies were basically a "Mystere IV + lateral intakes"  thing.

Only the wing plan differed : delta for the Mirage, swept (similar to Mystère in fact!) for the Etendards.

After that, you have different engines
- 1*Orpheus for NATO
- 2*small Turboméca Gabizo for the AdA (the Gabizo soon proved utter crap)
- 1*Atar-101 (reheat or no reheat)

The Mirage finally received "souris" (mices) in the intakes, the Etandard did not, and went to the French Navy as an attack machine.

Had the Etendard received a reheat and "mices", it could have go supersonic.

Even the old SMB-2 reached Mach 1.4 with a Mirage III Atar-9C (the SMB-4) 

Supersonic Etendard is feasible, either in 1958 from the Etendard IV (no Crusader) or from the SEM in 1974 (replace the Crouzes)

By the way, a supersonic Etendard IV would really be a low-wing (medium-wing?) Mirage F1. The Mirage F1 would in fact never have existed!

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

GTX

My rough interpretations of a 2 seat Super Etendard and VG Super Etendard:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

SPINNERS

GTX

Continuing with today's Jet-lift STOL theme:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Archibald

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

The doudou's Profiles thread is pertinent in this thread http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16906.135.html :thumbsup:
I got this Etendard Supersonique from it. :cheers:
Will die without understanding this world.

Jeffry Fontaine

That is pretty much the same thing I had in mind after looking at the Entendard and Super Entendard and comparing them with the Mirage airframe and thinking that it would be an easy kit bash to match up the forward fuselage of the Mirage with the Entendard and Super Entendard to come up with something that could be a bit faster. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Archibald

ok, I'm a nitpicker, feel free to burn me alive but... it's Etendard, not Entendard.  ;D

Doudou's artwork is great, as usual!

Th french navy briefly give consideration to an interceptor Super Etendard in the 80's, to replace the old Crusader. But they soon dropped the idea as unpracticable...
Well, the Sea Harrier was subsonic, but it was some interceptor. A SEM with Mirage 2000 nose and Super 530 would be good...