British Adder Mk.1 Tank Destroyer.....Der Englische PanzerJager

Started by beowulf, December 26, 2010, 08:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

convoluted story

when the 'proposed GB for next year' thread came out i saw a category for tank hunters............basically what would British or American designers come up with if they had made tank destroyers in the German/Soviet style...it kind of got me thinking

although the subject interests me immensly i am not much of an armour builder, mainly cos i find weathering a pain in the proverbial.....this is only my 4th 1/35 armour build and first kitbash.......about 6 months ago i was given a box of about 35 built 1/35 tanks (somone had to get rid of them before his swmbo chcked them in the bin!!), my plan was to use them for practising weathering..............so i pulled the box out to see if there was any thing i could knock about for this...............found a couple of Crusader cruiser tanks and thought i try one of them

back story would be after the North African campaign the British would plan building a tank destroyer after seeing German Stug 3 and Jagdpanzer 4 operating in Europe, in preperation for the assault on Italy..........looking for a suitable donor they focussed on the Crusader, rapidly being replaced by better tanks such as Grants and Shermans....tanks would be modified in theatre in Tunisia

with thanks to Messer's Weaver and Mossie i have named it the Adder Mk.1.............why Mk.1?...well i have another Crusader hull and i think the Mk.2 will have beefed up armour to give it a look like a Su 85 or JgdPanther

apologies for crappy pics......camera has thrown a wobbly which if i could afford it would result in it being thrown in the nearest bin and replaced with a new one!  :banghead: must admit i have really enjoyed this, doing something very different to what i normally do  ;D

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

tanktastic43

I like this a lot. Very well done.  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the Mk.2.

tt43.

Gondor

That's a nice tank hunter that anyone would add to their armour brigades

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Quote from: beowulf on December 26, 2010, 08:41:26 AM
with thanks to Messer's Weaver and Mossie i have named it the Adder Mk.1.............why Mk.1?...well i have another Crusader hull and i think the Mk.2 will have beefed up armour to give it a look like a Su 85 or JgdPanther

You're welcome, not that I did much!  I do like this, looking forward to the Mk.2. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

buzzbomb

Great job, look functional and enough space to work in, well just enough, given the breech length of the gun.

but all in all.. fantastic

rickshaw

Quite nice.  Very well made.  For the Mk.2 I'd suggest bringing the superstructure glacis forward and include the driver's compartment in the hull, rather than have that separate driver's penthouse sticking up.  That way you'd have considerably more room, a better slope and less of a vulnerable, weak spot (the driver's penthouse would have had only the original Crusader's armour, whereas I'd assume the superstructure of an SPG anti-tank gun to be considerably increased).

By 1944 most of the unreliability problems with the Crusader had been overcome and once it was out of the desert, dust becomes less of a problem. The Crusader gun tractor:

was quite reliable and well liked by the 17 Pdr crews who used them in the Armoured AT Regiments.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

brisbane syndrome

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

beowulf

Thanks for all the comments guys.......appreciated....... ;D.....you might have to wait a few months before the Mk2 gets on the production line...couple of other things in front of it

Quote from: Mossie on December 26, 2010, 04:26:58 PM
You're welcome, not that I did much!  I do like this, looking forward to the Mk.2. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I didn't have a clue what to call it... :unsure:...Weaver had an brilliant  idea and you seconded it....good enough for me

Quote from: buzzbomb on December 26, 2010, 09:09:06 PM
Great job, look functional and enough space to work in, well just enough, given the breech length of the gun.

Thats why i made the casement the shape it is so it had somewhere for it to recoil into   :thumbsup:

Quote from: rickshaw on December 26, 2010, 09:22:53 PM
Quite nice.  Very well made.  For the Mk.2 I'd suggest bringing the superstructure glacis forward and include the driver's compartment in the hull,

Thats the plan.......think JagdPanther  ;)

Quote from: thedarkmaster on December 27, 2010, 01:44:53 AMWhat size gun does she carry ?

A big bugger!...... ;D ;D.........i have no idea from what the barrel came from.....was just in the box o' bits and it fitted!   ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Weaver

NICE WORK!  :wub:

That's very credible, and I like your plans for the Mk.II. Take the glacis to that line of rivets in front of the driver's position: that'd have all the advantages Rickshaw's pointed out, but would still be distinctive.

Oh and re the name: you're welcome, but all I did was look through a dictionary....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones