Ever Used "Xylol" for Thinner?

Started by sequoiaranger, December 24, 2010, 09:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

While at the paint store the other day, I looked at "Xylol" as a possible thinner for airbrushing/thinning applications. The employees did not know how it might work with "hobby" enamels, but here is what it said on the can:

"Xylol (Xylene) is a 100% aromatic hydrocarbon with excellent solvency characteristics and a medium-fast evaporation rate. It is the recommended thinner and reducer for hard-to-thin oil base paints, porch and deck enamels, and most other synthetic enamels."

I have had some paint compatibility problems with various store-bought "thinners" and mineral spirits, and I wondered if anyone had some experience with Xylol/Xylene that could save me some tedious trial-and-error. (I may be the "guinea-pig" and try some experiments and report back, myself)
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

frank2056

Xylene is nasty stuff. You need an extremely well ventilated area because of the volatility and the neurological effects. I was using a xylene based mixing pen to make PC boards and after a few minutes I could barely remember my own name...

OSHA Xylene page

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: frank2056 on December 24, 2010, 12:42:32 PM
Xylene is nasty stuff. You need an extremely well ventilated area because of the volatility and the neurological effects. I was using a xylene based mixing pen to make PC boards and after a few minutes I could barely remember my own name...

OSHA Xylene page

What he said.  Has gotten to the point where ink felt pen mfg's are even trying to get away from using the stuff.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

Xylene melts plastics -----

It's also a pretty good degreaser too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Xylol is a hot solvent and used to be a common ingredient in many 'lacquer thinners' and was the main solvent ingredient in old formula Floquil Dio-Sol and enamels.

It is still used in the printing and paint industries as a solvent, what is basically the same stuff also shows up on proprietary ingredient lists as dimethylbenzene, rather than the trade name Xylol.

Like toluene it is also useful as an epoxy thinner and does require very good ventilation.

PR19_Kit

When I used Floquil paints for my N Scale model railroad stuff I used to use that Diosol stuff, as Jon says, but it gave me monumental headcahes! And that was with the room well ventilated too.  :banghead:

Sadly it seems you couldn't dilute Floquil with anything else so that was the end of that experiment and I went back to enamels.

I'd steer WELL clear!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

SHEEESH!

I'm glad I never opened the can and experimented. I am going to make a beeline back to the hardware store and return it before it has a chance to poison me!!

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I wondered why I had never heard of this "miracle" thinner for hobby paints before. Maybe now I know---those who used it ain't around to tell about it!!  :blink:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

It is a very good thinner, but as with any aromatic hydrocarbon solvent one should wear a respirator regardless of
how well ventilated the room.

I wear a respirator even when using them outside:cheers: