Fw 190 A-10 & F-8/R14

Started by Gondor, December 19, 2010, 05:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

After procrastinating for several months I have finally managed to get around to doing some modelling that I have been talking about for a while.

The start.... here are the boxes that the two aircraft came in along with one of the AML tails that will be added to the kits. I do not have all the components but at the moment that is not a problem. Further items will be to replace the plastic torpedo with a resin one and I have yet to decide on the camouflage, markings or the werks numbers for both the aircraft.

More pictures to follow.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

A little amputation........

and now getting the tail ready to pin on the donkey....

The drawing shows how the resin tail looked before I attacked it with my motor drill. The masking take was to protect the surface from any possible slips of the drill bit when I reduced the size of the tail extension (remember this tail was designed to be used with a D-9), so that it would fit the shorter fuselage of the aircraft.

Of note is the difference between the three tails in the top photograph. The light grey plastic is of the normal A series and has the correct profile to the tail surface where the dark grey has a slightly modified profile. Revell have attempted to reproduce the Ta152 type tail and managed to fail miserably as the shape is only a slight modification of the original.

Next I will have to remove the moulded part of the cockpit canopy so I can replace the flat style canopy with a vac-formed Pavla canopy.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

I will be watching this with interest! :thumbsup:

The tail of the Revell kit of the F-8/R14 is not that bad, yes the R14 had a wider tail section than most Fw 190s but it was not as wide as the later Ta 152 tail units.

Matrixone

Gondor

Matrixone, the reference I have shows the tail to be very similar to a Ta152 tail

sorry that it is a bit blurred but I decided to get the picture taken as soon as I could. The line drawing comes from this book

As only one prototype F-8 /R14 was built I can easily say that for the production version they used the Ta152 tail  ;D

Gondor

matrixone

Gondor,
You are correct, production aircraft would have certainly used the Ta 152 style tail. What I meant was for the prototype that Revell based their kit on they did use the correct tail profile. Keep in mind that I say this without double checking my own kit in my stash but I remember my kit box art looks the same as the one you are working with.

Slightly out of topic, when I build my Revell kit I was thinking of not using any of the torpedo equipment and building it as a what-if late war fighter complete with a four bladed prop...this would not be based on any projected Focke-Wulf version of the fighter, just pure what-if fun! ;D

Matrixone

Gondor

Nothing done in the last two days, Monday because I was at work all day and today, tuesday because I was off work with a chest cold. I did do some research though. Probibly more confused from that than I was before though  :blink:

Gondor

Gondor

Yippee Progress !!!

The stubs where the tails were have been tidied up and the remains of the canopy has also been removed from both models. The light grey kit will be the A-10, and no it's not going to be a warthog. I have taped this kit together with the modified AML tail to see how well it fits.

The fit could be described as "It fits where it touches" and obviously I will need to do some work on the join area.

not a 100% fit from the side either.

I thought I would add a picture of the main tool I have used so far. The bit on the Minicraft drill is a router bit and has been used to grind down the resin of the tail roughly. The center tool is a disc saw and has been used to remove the rear of the moulded on canopy. Finally the truncated cone on the left is the grinding tool I have used to help clean up the canopy area and to thin the rear fuselage to ensure the resin tail can slide easily into the fuselage.

Next should be cockpit painting and wing making as well as tidying up the tail.

Gondor

Gondor

Nothing been happening for a while, partly due to the holiday season and partly due to my coming down with a viral infection this week. Have been thinking about how to make the exhausts for both kits, not particularly successful with brass rod as the thickness of the rod makes the exhaust look to chunky. I have thought of heat stretching plastic tubing to get the correct diameter then to use heated pliers to flatten the ends but with being sick I haven't had the drive to do anything.

Ideas and suggestions welcome though.

Gondor

Gondor

Could a Moderator please move this thread to the '46 Group Build please, I have already checked with Nils who has OK'ed the move.

Thanks

Gondor

Army of One

Love the Wurger.....in all its guises...... :thumbsup:......looking forward to this.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Gondor

Thanks Army of One..... the '46 Group Build has provided me with some much needed impetus to build things. Actually got the wings stuck together for both of these aircraft today so some progress of sorts.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

If you're going for a torpedojager from the F, I'd take out the cowling guns and just stick with the wingroot guns.  The Luftwaffe spent much of the war trialling the 190 as a torpedo fighter and discovered that the A & F were underpowered with the torpedo and when they trialed the D series with a torpedo (the D9 and the D-12), it was too late. The Ta 152C was put forward but the DB603LA was unsuited to low altitude work, so it would have been swapped with a DB603 but then the aircraft would have been to heavy, so back to the 190D.

Any production fighters would have been lightened as much as possible or would have carried the late war BT series weapons rather than actual torpedoes.  The 190 could carry a BT1400, one of which is in the Dragon Ar 234C.  Hasegawa had a limited release 190F with a pair of white metal BT400s
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Taiidantomcat

Looking good! You should invent your own camouflage and just use RLM paints to make it look "authentic" The sky is the limit!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on February 14, 2011, 09:44:25 AM
Looking good! You should invent your own camouflage and just use RLM paints to make it look "authentic" The sky is the limit!

The camouflage will be based on the actual camouflage but given the "running out of the proper paint" treatment.

Gondor